New Camera + Protection Plan

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

la551ve3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
When you purchase a new camera retailers often offer a 2-3 year protection plan usually at a hefty price. I usually pass and take my chances but now I own a brand new Z8 which cost a whole lot more than any other camera I have owned. So my question is, do you purchase these plans (which includes a non-deductible) , add the equipment to your home insurance or something else? Problem with the Home insurance option is the deductible. In my case that would be $1k.

Manufacturer's warranty covers manufacturing defects. In addition I put expensive gear on a scheduled policy to cover repairs, loss, theft, etc. as part of my homeowners policy. Price around as prices vary considerably.

When you purchase a new camera retailers often offer a 2-3 year protection plan usually at a hefty price. I usually pass and take my chances but now I own a brand new Z8 which cost a whole lot more than any other camera I have owned. So my question is, do you purchase these plans (which includes a non-deductible) , add the equipment to your home insurance or something else? Problem with the Home insurance option is the deductible. In my case that would be $1k.
I see you're in Canada, but can you contact your insurance agent and add a rider for your photo equipment? Normally it does not cover professional use, and different companies have different rules. But it does cover all perils and usually has no deductible. You need to be able to list the item, value, and provide documentation if requested. Insurance policies typically cover cameras and lenses generically subject to a limit and deductible. It's much better to have a separate rider covering your gear and use the generic component for things that are unlikely losses but might add up in a major loss - bags, filters, older gear, etc.

Back