New computer for photo and video editing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My main computer is a desktop that I build using components and runs Win10. i7-2600K with 16GB RAM without discrete video card. It runs fines for my D800 RAW files using LR 4.x
I have recently acquired a Z9 and would like to dabble into video (probably not 8K, but say 4K) besides processing RAW files using NX Studio or Darktable. Will a miniPC with a processor like AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX with 32GB DDR5 be able to handle these tasks? Do I need more powerful processor like Ryzen 7 8845HS with 32GB DD5? Both these options are without discrete video cards.

Will appreciate any feedback from folks here who have tried this route or have more experience in this area.

Worst case scenario - I could build a new rig using components from my nearby Microcenter which have good deals on combo (AMD or Intel Processor, Mobo, RAM) for ~$500. However, I am worried about 2 things -
  • Beefier CPU Cooler, since these processors generate quite a bit of heat.
  • Electricity costs (since I run my desktop 24x7).

Last edited:
If you are planning on updating to Lightroom Classic, then you will need a dedicated GPU to have it run reasonably well. The new processes like Denoise are GPU intensive, and integrated graphics are not going to cut it. And I suspect that editing 4k video will also require a GPU unless you only work with proxies. Given that Win 10 will lose support in October, LR4 will eventually lose support, if only when you try to install it on a new machine, you should consider some GPU options as well in any machine you are considering so you can handle new software updates.

Good luck,

--Ken

If you are planning on updating to Lightroom Classic, then you will need a dedicated GPU to have it run reasonably well. The new processes like Denoise are GPU intensive, and integrated graphics are not going to cut it. And I suspect that editing 4k video will also require a GPU unless you only work with proxies. Given that Win 10 will lose support in October, LR4 will eventually lose support, if only when you try to install it on a new machine, you should consider some GPU options as well.

Good luck,

--Ken
Ken - Thanks for your inputs.
I will not be using Lightroom Classic (the new subscription model) or my LR4 for the new files. I will be using NX Studio and/or Darktable for RAW photo files. Still unsure of what I will use for video processing. But your feedback about the need to discrete GPU is very helpful. I think I will build my own rig with components from Microcenter. Any particular recommendation for GPU (under $500) that will allow me to edit 4K files?

Ken - Thanks for your inputs.
I will not be using Lightroom Classic (the new subscription model) or my LR4 for the new files. I will be using NX Studio and/or Darktable for RAW photo files. Still unsure of what I will use for video processing. But your feedback about the need to discrete GPU is very helpful. I think I will build my own rig with components from Microcenter. Any particular recommendation for GPU (under $500) that will allow me to edit 4K files?
Helpful information to know - thank you. I unfortunately cannot make a good or specific recommendation of a GPU that is not too much of a power hog as I am trying to find a similar GPU for LR Classic for my upcoming replacement PC, and they are difficult to find given LR Classic's requirements and needs. With respect to video, I do not do a lot of video editing, but others here can chime in. But in general, video is as much, if not more, GPU intensive unless you are only doing simple edits with 1080p files, for example. I know that Da Vinci Resolve expects a GPU, but I do not know what level of hardware is needed for reasonable performance. And do not forget that a lot of what is or is not acceptable depends on your expectations. For example, does a file need to be processed in 2-3 seconds, or will 15-20 suffice?

--Ken

Checking on Puget Systems website and database there are a number of laptops with Nvidia's 4090 processor that have exceptional performance. For a desktop the problem is having a large enough motherboard to allow for a RTX 4090 PCIe card that takes up 3 slots and the mini ATX motherboards may hold such a card but will have no available slots for anything else you want to add in the future. Only the gaming desktop computers that ship with a 4080 or 4090 board installed are likely to work as these cards use a special new power connector from the power supply.

For video the amount of VRAM on the GPU is also very important and 8GB is the bare minimum and 16GB or 24GB will provide much better performance.

At this time only Asus has motherboards that will support USB 4 and so I am waiting for that to change before buying a new computer.

Last edited:
Still unsure of what I will use for video processing. But your feedback about the need to discrete GPU is very helpful. I think I will build my own rig with components from Microcenter. Any particular recommendation for GPU (under $500) that will allow me to edit 4K files?

I built my own PC last summer using an i7-12700 CPU, 16gb DDR4 RAM, all SSD's, etc.

I use it to frequently edit/render both HD and 4K videos. For the GPU I chose an RTX-3050 GPU with 8gb of memory. Currently $175 at Amazon.

My videos are not long productions but short clips which I frequently edit and render many clips at a time using Davinci Resolve. The performance of the system and GPU is quite satisfactory for my needs.

The RTX-3050 GPU is usually 100% during 4K renders with render times for groups of clips quite reasonable.

A large expen$ive GPU which also requires a big power-supply is not always needed and in many cases is just overkill. If graphics intensive gaming is involved - that's a different ball-of-wax. Be sure to match the computer's power-supply to the system's needs plus some overhead for whatever GPU is chosen.

Phil,
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I do not do any gaming and some extra time for rendering of some short videos is acceptable in my case.

No problem.

I should add - I went thru a similar quandary trying to decide how to build a new PC.

There are many YouTube videos to help select and build a system - but IMO many are shills. They're promoting the fastest, biggest/smallest, meanest, expensive hardware (mostly targeted for gaming etc.) for PC builds which for many of us is simply more than needed now and in future.

The total cost of my system built last summer was less than the price of the monster 4090 GPU.

Phil,
I have built about 2 or 3 desktops (I keep them for a very long time) since 1998. Since I purchased Z9, I was thinking about dabbling with video editing (not real production work). This is just a hobby for me. Living near Microcenter gives a good starting point for Processor / MoBo/ 32GB DDR5 RAM for $380 - $580. Add other ancillaries (GPU, Case, PS, SSD for OS) will probably reach $1K. I think I can probably live with that build for many many years.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Save youself the aggravation, look at an off the shelf Corsair Vengeance gaming computer...

add your own Samsung SSD drives as well..!!!
Thanks for your suggestion but it is way out of my budget.

I unfortunately cannot make a good or specific recommendation of a GPU that is not too much of a power hog as I am trying to find a similar GPU for LR Classic for my upcoming replacement PC, and they are difficult to find given LR Classic's requirements and needs.

--Ken
On this detail my 16 inch Mac MacBook Pro with M2 chip and 32 GB of memory would have a flat battery before completing about 150 45 MP file size Denoise operations.

With the battery charger plugged in, the charger cannot keep pace with Denoise operations :cry:

While power consumption is not important for a desktop, with some PP Lightroom operations such as 8K video a suitable desktop could become an increasing necessity.

On the plus side a Denoise preview on my laptop takes about 5 seconds and a full conversion about 45 seconds. Some with relatively old computers tell me 7 or 8 minutes.

Repeating what is becoming increasingly understood, Lightroom Denoise or other similar PP options can make a 10,000 ISO image similar to 400 ISO for noise and near for resolution, though it cannot do much about the wider 400 ISO dynamic range.

Minimum system requirements for Nikon NXStudio are at this link: (I always add more than the minimum recommendations. ) For any photo software these days I would always have a dedicated and separate GPU/video card with its own RAM and with enough ports to support two monitors.

I have used Microcenter to build over 6 windows desktops for me over the years. for photo and general use applications. One recommendation they have made that has paid off is to add additional cooling fans. They are low in cost and are silent. Make sure the motherboard has enough of the needed ports for your accessories with the best speeds and functions.

My current photo desktop built in 2019, has 64 GB RAM, a 1 TB SSD drive, and a dedicated video card that is outdated for my current needs. Try to anticipate future needs when deciding on what you need in your new desktop.

Save youself the aggravation, look at an off the shelf Corsair Vengeance gaming computer...

add your own Samsung SSD drives as well..!!!

Roger that....

Minimum system requirements for Nikon NXStudio are at this link: (I always add more than the minimum recommendations. ) For any photo software these days I would always have a dedicated and separate GPU/video card with its own RAM and with enough ports to support two monitors.

I have used Microcenter to build over 6 windows desktops for me over the years. for photo and general use applications. One recommendation they have made that has paid off is to add additional cooling fans. They are low in cost and are silent. Make sure the motherboard has enough of the needed ports for your accessories with the best speeds and functions.

My current photo desktop built in 2019, has 64 GB RAM, a 1 TB SSD drive, and a dedicated video card that is outdated for my current needs. Try to anticipate future needs when deciding on what you need in your new desktop.
Thanks for that tip.

Back