New computer

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m considering a new Mac 24 inch computer. However, it maxes out at only 24 gigs of ram. Will that be enough to run LR and PS. If not , I’ll have to go in another direction. I want to stick with Mac since that is what I’m currently using. Thanks

There are a couple of long threads here on those questions if you search. The new Adobe products also require lots of GPU not just CPU and RAM. I am guessing 24 is ok on the RAM, but you really need to check the GPU information.

Reactions: seh
Generally speaking it's more than enough. But like everything, it depends on what you're expecting and going to do. If you expect to use a lot of AI stuff then you'd probably want more raw power as the tools will increasingly demand more. Also is it worth spending the extra (insert your local currency unit here) just to have an operation finish a few milliseconds to a minute faster depending?

You'll be fine with LR and PS on that one…but I personally recommend either a loaded mini or Studio and separate monitor…that way you don't toss a perfectly good monitor when you upgrade the erst of it. Both the Studio and mini have more ports but they are M2 Max/Pro/Ultra and the iMac is M3 base cpu only. I personally would not want anything smaller than a 27 inch monitor and more ports and cores are always nice. However…depending on budget and needs…the iMac will last you a bunch of years before needing upgrading. If you're doing serious video or medium format 100MB plus RAW files or 27 layer PS files…then yeah, I think the Max/Ultra chips are worth the price there but only you know your budget…and as I said I don't really like the all in one models, they're aimed primarily at consumers and although you can upgrade them the available upgrades are limited.

Another option…particularly if you travel…is the MBP and a separate monitor…at home use the big one and on the road you've got your LR catalog with you albeit with a smaller display.

With Apple's hardware these days…the first thing to do is decide all in one or separate. Second is get the cores you need for the length you're planning on keeping it plus a couple years. Third…and really important…get as much RAM and drive as you can afford because they're not upgradeable…although with TB4 ports you can plug in a drive rom OWC or whoever and while the internal drive may actually show better results in the benchmark programs in actuality you won't see much difference between internal and a TB4 external…when you're talking seconds to do something then a second or two faster is pretty irrelevant.

I’m considering a new Mac 24 inch computer. However, it maxes out at only 24 gigs of ram. Will that be enough to run LR and PS. If not , I’ll have to go in another direction. I want to stick with Mac since that is what I’m currently using. Thanks
I second the Mac Studio M2 Max. And you may be able to use your old iMac as a monitor. It can handle anything you can throw at it. That includes video as well as LR and PP. I wouldn’t consider anything less. The standard configuration has 32gig of RAM. If you wanted to hold off for a while, there are rumors of a 30 inch iMac. But you know how rumors go.😜

Back