New Here. Turn OFF Z8 LCD while in use?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, completely new here and to Nikon system after many years with Canon then Sony, when I used my Sony A7 IV I had it set to turn off the rear LCD using the rear scroll wheel and clicking through some options, I don't have the Nikon Z8 right now but due tomorrow. I assume that when you look through the viewfinder the LCD turns off automatically but when you take your eye away from the viewfinder it comes back on automatically and I found with Sony not having that happen you get a little more power time from the battery. I hope someone understands the question. Thank You, Russ from Cumbria UK.

I assume that when you look through the viewfinder the LCD turns off automatically but when you take your eye away from the viewfinder it comes back on automatically
I believe that is the default. There are several other options for when it will come on (or not). I set mine so that the LCD does NOT come on when I take my eyes off the viewfinder.

Welcome to BCG!

While waiting for the camera, go ahead and down load the manual. Then start reading it! Since you are new to Nikon, you will undoubtedly find that while the end results may be similar, the way to get there is quite different.

We have many members who have used both systems. So if you can't find the answers in the manual, post a question here.

There are multiple ways to do it. Here's an excerpt from my setup guide that will help, The Limit Monitor Mode Selection item is under the Setup Menu.

Limit Monitor Mode Selection

This is another setting I think everyone should spare a moment for and tailor to their specific needs. (Also, sorry for the lack of screen shots in this section - the Z8/9 disables this menu when plugged into a screen capture device…aargh).

The Limit Monitor Mode Selection menu controls what display options the Monitor Mode button can toggle between (the button on the side of the viewfinder). Let’s look at the options, then I’ll share what I do.

Automatic Display Switch - This option will automatically swap between the viewfinder and rear LCD panel based on where your eye is.

Viewfinder Only - Yup, you guessed it, this option sets the camera so the back LCD stays off no matter what.

Monitor Only - This is like viewfinder only, but this time the camera won’t turn on the viewfinder and you can only use the rear LCD panel.

Prioritize Viewfinder (1&2) - The #2 option here is my preferred setting. In each case (1&2), the viewfinder takes priority and, when you pull your eye away, the rear LCD doesn’t switch on. However, if you press the playback or menu button with your eye away from the viewfinder, the rear LCD takes over. I feel like this setup saves at least a little battery life while also keeping me from inadvertently pressing something on the rear LCD when I don’t want to.

The difference between mode 1 and 2 is subtle. In mode 1, the viewfinder will only turn on when you put your eye to it; otherwise, it’s dark. In Mode 2, the viewfinder will pop on if you interact with any of the camera buttons, like half-pressing the shutter release or activating autofocus. If your eye doesn’t show up within five seconds or so, it goes dark again. I enjoy a little acknowledgment from the camera if I half-press the shutter release to keep it awake, so it’s mode 2 for me.

Note: No matter how you have it set, if you pull your eye away from the viewfinder, the camera will turn off the EVF to conserve battery power. Moving your eye to the viewfinder will instantly bring it back to life unless the camera has slipped into standby mode.

Keep in mind that the Limit Monitor Mode Selection menu simply allows you to choose what display options are available for you to cycle through when you press the Monitor Mode button on the side of the viewfinder - it doesn't actually set the option you’re using.

To cycle through your selected options and choose the one you want (once you’re done in the menu), simply press the Monitor Mode button on the side of the viewfinder. It’s the little guy shown by the red arrow below (Z8/9 shooters often overlook this button and I’ve witnessed firsthand the panic that can ensue when the EVF goes dark from an errant press).

pastedGraphic.png

WARNING: Remember that the “viewfinder” options only display if you’re looking through the viewfinder, so if you toggle to something like, “Viewfinder only” or “Prioritize Viewfinder” when looking at the back of the camera, it’ll seem like nothing is happening.

I know, you’re wondering what I check and uncheck. The two I toggle between are Automatic Display Switch and Prioritize Viewfinder (2) (those are the only ones I have checked in the menu).

While I mostly use Prioritize Viewfinder, sometimes I want the camera to automatically switch to the rear LCD when I look away (like for macro-size critters or when I’m using my slow “shutter speed self timer technique” that we’ll chat about later). I seldom (if ever) want to use the LCD (monitor) or the viewfinder exclusively, so I keep those options unchecked. I figure there’s no need to toggle through ‘em if you aren’t gonna use ‘em.

Hint: If you are using Prioritize Viewfinder and want to use the rear LCD for photography, you can pull the LCD monitor out a tiny bit at the bottom. No need to use the Monitor Mode button to switch displays.

There are multiple ways to do it. Here's an excerpt from my setup guide that will help, The Limit Monitor Mode Selection item is under the Setup Menu.

Limit Monitor Mode Selection

This is another setting I think everyone should spare a moment for and tailor to their specific needs. (Also, sorry for the lack of screen shots in this section - the Z8/9 disables this menu when plugged into a screen capture device…aargh).

The Limit Monitor Mode Selection menu controls what display options the Monitor Mode button can toggle between (the button on the side of the viewfinder). Let’s look at the options, then I’ll share what I do.

Automatic Display Switch - This option will automatically swap between the viewfinder and rear LCD panel based on where your eye is.

Viewfinder Only - Yup, you guessed it, this option sets the camera so the back LCD stays off no matter what.

Monitor Only - This is like viewfinder only, but this time the camera won’t turn on the viewfinder and you can only use the rear LCD panel.

Prioritize Viewfinder (1&2) - The #2 option here is my preferred setting. In each case (1&2), the viewfinder takes priority and, when you pull your eye away, the rear LCD doesn’t switch on. However, if you press the playback or menu button with your eye away from the viewfinder, the rear LCD takes over. I feel like this setup saves at least a little battery life while also keeping me from inadvertently pressing something on the rear LCD when I don’t want to.

The difference between mode 1 and 2 is subtle. In mode 1, the viewfinder will only turn on when you put your eye to it; otherwise, it’s dark. In Mode 2, the viewfinder will pop on if you interact with any of the camera buttons, like half-pressing the shutter release or activating autofocus. If your eye doesn’t show up within five seconds or so, it goes dark again. I enjoy a little acknowledgment from the camera if I half-press the shutter release to keep it awake, so it’s mode 2 for me.

Note: No matter how you have it set, if you pull your eye away from the viewfinder, the camera will turn off the EVF to conserve battery power. Moving your eye to the viewfinder will instantly bring it back to life unless the camera has slipped into standby mode.

Keep in mind that the Limit Monitor Mode Selection menu simply allows you to choose what display options are available for you to cycle through when you press the Monitor Mode button on the side of the viewfinder - it doesn't actually set the option you’re using.

To cycle through your selected options and choose the one you want (once you’re done in the menu), simply press the Monitor Mode button on the side of the viewfinder. It’s the little guy shown by the red arrow below (Z8/9 shooters often overlook this button and I’ve witnessed firsthand the panic that can ensue when the EVF goes dark from an errant press).

View attachment 84050

WARNING: Remember that the “viewfinder” options only display if you’re looking through the viewfinder, so if you toggle to something like, “Viewfinder only” or “Prioritize Viewfinder” when looking at the back of the camera, it’ll seem like nothing is happening.

I know, you’re wondering what I check and uncheck. The two I toggle between are Automatic Display Switch and Prioritize Viewfinder (2) (those are the only ones I have checked in the menu).

While I mostly use Prioritize Viewfinder, sometimes I want the camera to automatically switch to the rear LCD when I look away (like for macro-size critters or when I’m using my slow “shutter speed self timer technique” that we’ll chat about later). I seldom (if ever) want to use the LCD (monitor) or the viewfinder exclusively, so I keep those options unchecked. I figure there’s no need to toggle through ‘em if you aren’t gonna use ‘em.

Hint: If you are using Prioritize Viewfinder and want to use the rear LCD for photography, you can pull the LCD monitor out a tiny bit at the bottom. No need to use the Monitor Mode button to switch displays.
Hi and many thanks for an in depth reply and I hope to have a camera tomorrow to play with, will get there in the end but time and patience. Thanks again, Russ.

Back