New member, probably old question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I started my photography journey photographing landscapes and still do. I love photographing nature, but there's something about wildlife that burns my blood. I got my first coyote image last year and I was hooked. Since then, I've been looking for the next rush. I've upgraded my camera and lens since then but still have no idea what settings to use. I find myself reading more and more trying to apply what I read, then going out and not getting the same results. I use a Canon 7D Mark II with a 100-400 lens, I was in AV mode but read that I needed to use TV mode (shutter mode) so I switched. This morning, in low light had the perfect opportunity to photograph a coyote but unless I crank my ISO all the way up and basically destroy the image I didn't get the shot off. Any ideas?

I started my photography journey photographing landscapes and still do. I love photographing nature, but there's something about wildlife that burns my blood. I got my first coyote image last year and I was hooked. Since then, I've been looking for the next rush. I've upgraded my camera and lens since then but still have no idea what settings to use. I find myself reading more and more trying to apply what I read, then going out and not getting the same results. I use a Canon 7D Mark II with a 100-400 lens, I was in AV mode but read that I needed to use TV mode (shutter mode) so I switched. This morning, in low light had the perfect opportunity to photograph a coyote but unless I crank my ISO all the way up and basically destroy the image I didn't get the shot off. Any ideas?
Steve has several wonderful videos on wildlife photography. Great place to start.

Welcome,
There is a lot of that burning blood here. You came to the right place.
Start by watching some of Steves you tube videos. I think it will become apparent real quick he is a great tutor making challenging wildlife photography topics easy.
Then jump into a few of his online tutorials that do come with a low cost, but are oh so worthwile.
Enjoy....

Also visit the wildlife forum and explore the images. Ask a question in the discussion and if you don't get answer in a few days, consider starting a conversation (mail icon) at the top right of the page.

Remember we all started like you, at ground zero (even even lower in the subbasement)

I'd also suggest investing in Steve's eBook on Exposure and Metering. Although written towards Nikon cameras, the principals he explains apply to all brands of equipment. Before tackling wildlife images, you need to have a comfortable knowledge of exposure and metering so that setting the camera is easy for you.

Do you shoot raw? Do you understand the effects of choosing various shutter speeds? Do you know when and why to choose various apertures? Do you know at what point the ISO level becomes too high in your camera (i.e. not acceptable image quality) to you? Are you familiar with various tools which are very good at reducing noise in high-ISO images? What do you consider "too high?"

Steve's eBook on Expsoure and Metering covers all of these topics and more. Money well spent!

One brief story. My first trip to Africa. Safari out after sunset! Leopards mating! I had a choice. Slow shutter speed would likely result in out of focus image which would be unusable. OR - use f4 aperture and choose an ISO that would give me 1/320 of a second shutter speed. I could deal with noise in post processing. At least then I would have a chance at a keeper image.

The swat during dismount.... ISO 12,800 Nikon D3s 180mm f4 1/320
_D3S7257_7255_A-X2.jpg

Moral of story? Get the shot.....then learn how to do it better.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest investing in Steve's eBook on Exposure and Metering. Although written towards Nikon cameras, the principals he explains apply to all brands of equipment. Before tackling wildlife images, you need to have a comfortable knowledge of exposure and metering so that setting the camera is easy for you.

Do you shoot raw? Do you understand the effects of choosing various shutter speeds? Do you know when and why to choose various apertures? Do you know at what point the ISO level becomes too high in your camera (i.e. not acceptable image quality) to you? Are you familiar with various tools which are very good at reducing noise in high-ISO images? What do you consider "too high?"

Steve's eBook on Expsoure and Metering covers all of these topics and more. Money well spent!

On brief story. My first trip to Africa. Safari out after sunset! Leopards mating! I had a choice. Slow shutter speed would likely result in out of focus image which would be unusable. OR - use f4 aperture and choose an ISO that would give me 1/320 of a second shutter speed. I could deal with noise in post processing. At least then I would have a chance at a keeper image.

The swat during dismount....
_D3S7257_7255_A-X2.jpg

Moral of story? Get the shot.....then learn how to do it better.
GREAT image. And of course the correct choice. Better a noisy image, than a blurry one

I won't repeat what others have recommended, but they're right - Steve's YouTube videos are great! You also might enjoy watching a couple of wildlife photography videos on CreativeLive - a website dedicated to photography and the visual arts. Their videos are generally excellent, and fairly low cost. Look for the ones by Tom Mangelsen and Art Wolfe - they're particularly good. There's also a YouTube series called Wild Photo Adventures that's pretty entertaining, and will get your juices flowing. Another great option to gain some good, practical, in the field experience, is to take a workshop in wildlife photography. There's nothing better than learning by doing, under the tutelage of a seasoned pro.

I'm not sure what your skill level is with photography in general, but if a beginner, I'd suggest a good introductory book like Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Petersen. Bryan does a very good job explaining basic concepts, but of course you may be way beyond this.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for all the advice. To answer some of the questions, I've been mainly photographing landscapes for the last year or so. I'm trying to broaden my skill level to reach another level. I hope that makes sense. Most of my wildlife images are all pure luck shots. I'm completely self-taught, some have said to watch YouTube videos. That was actually how I found this site. So, I'll definitely continue to watch and grow as a photographer. As for my knowledge of the camera, I know some. More on the old film cameras from back in the day. I learned on the black and white 35mm develop in the dark room.

Yay another Canon member! I think that makes 3 of us. Just kidding. There is nothing special about shutter priority Tv or aperture priority Av, all the auto modes are good if you understand what the meter and camera are doing. Another nice auto mode is manual mode with auto iso. Again you have to understand what the camera is doing.

I'd recommend keeping the meter to evaluative.

You might get some practice in with full manual just to see how the meter works. Then try manual with auto iso.

Feel free to ask any question. I don't have your camera but Canons have a lot in common with each other and with other brands.

Nice videos linked below. The second is about landscape, but the same ideas apply except you need enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur.

Quit evaluating yourself only on the most challenging of subjects and conditions. Go out and photograph the easy stuff while trying new, to you, techniques. Experiement on small animals and birds around feeders and bird baths. Visit an animal park or wildlife refuge. Find a camera/photo club and join it, and participate in it. Find a photo mentor to work with. Take photography classes at a continuing education program. Above all else, shoot frequently and don't accept anything mediocre as your standard.

And don't feel like you'll ever get over wanting to do better. I've been at this since 1978 (with a very long break between then and now) and I still am a student and often wish I had done better with my shots. And I'm willing to bet that there are others here who feel the same way about their shots as I do about mine.

Back