New to this forum first day out with my RF 100-500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello y’all,
I thought I would share my first ”keeper” I’ve taken with my RF100-500. This shot was cropped only to change aspect ratio from horizontal to vertical. Anyway I am somewhat in the honeymoon phase with this lens. My first lens over 200mm focal length. Any input to help me progress is welcome.
AB861C55-F2EA-4E51-BF17-03A4A17C32D1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hello y’all,
I thought I would share my first ”keeper” I’ve taken with my RF100-500. This shot was cropped only to change aspect ratio from horizontal to vertical. Anyway I am somewhat in the honeymoon phase with this lens. My first lens over 200mm focal length. Any input to help me progress is welcome.View attachment 29641
Awesome Capture! That’s most surely a wall hanger! Nicely done.👍👍👍 Where was this taken?

Hello, Travis. Nice angle on the animal, nose/eyes/antlers all within DOF and sharp, exposure well handled. Conventional wisdom if you're going to shoot the whole animal is to "leave room for the feet" even if not visible. In this case you included dead space up top at the expense of that "rule". Typically leaving headroom is a good thing through on antlered critters it's not as important. The viewer's attention is typically on the eye/face not on the horns so not an issue of the antlers are close to edge of frame. Despite the entire animal being in the image due to the angle this qualifies as a portrait IMO. The chopped feet are not an issue. I'd lose some of the dead space above by cropping to 4x5 format, add a bit of vignette, and call it good.

Beautiful, gorgeous, strong shot. Light and shadows superb. I think your honeymoon is going very well. Congrats.
Thank you
Hello, Travis. Nice angle on the animal, nose/eyes/antlers all within DOF and sharp, exposure well handled. Conventional wisdom if you're going to shoot the whole animal is to "leave room for the feet" even if not visible. In this case you included dead space up top at the expense of that "rule". Typically leaving headroom is a good thing through on antlered critters it's not as important. The viewer's attention is typically on the eye/face not on the horns so not an issue of the antlers are close to edge of frame. Despite the entire animal being in the image due to the angle this qualifies as a portrait IMO. The chopped feet are not an issue. I'd lose some of the dead space above by cropping to 4x5 format, add a bit of vignette, and call it good.
Thank you I 100% agree. I think I’m currently in a I have 500mm so I’m gonna use it phase. I probably could have backed off a tad.

Thank you

Thank you I 100% agree. I think I’m currently in a I have 500mm so I’m gonna use it phase. I probably could have backed off a tad.
I'm a believer in the axiom "you can never have too much lens". If you clip a wing, clip it more and make it a closeup. Cut off the critters feet? Crop tighter and make it a portrait. If it looks intentional it's a bent rule not a broken one :)

Hello y’all,
I thought I would share my first ”keeper” I’ve taken with my RF100-500. This shot was cropped only to change aspect ratio from horizontal to vertical. Anyway I am somewhat in the honeymoon phase with this lens. My first lens over 200mm focal length. Any input to help me progress is welcome.View attachment 29641

Nice shot. What camera?

very nice shot. Other than the cutting off at the feet advice above (actually cutting off at any joint is usually less attractive than full or cropped portrait). The other thing I would experiment with a bit would be the highlights in the background. Human eyes tend to be drawn to the brightest part of the photo and that is not your subject in this case. If you could tone down the highlights a bit or darken the sky just a little bit (maybe 1/3 stop or less just so it's not so bright) it could be less distracting.

Please don't take this as criticism, this is a beautiful shot.

very nice shot. Other than the cutting off at the feet advice above (actually cutting off at any joint is usually less attractive than full or cropped portrait). The other thing I would experiment with a bit would be the highlights in the background. Human eyes tend to be drawn to the brightest part of the photo and that is not your subject in this case. If you could tone down the highlights a bit or darken the sky just a little bit (maybe 1/3 stop or less just so it's not so bright) it could be less distracting.

Please don't take this as criticism, this is a beautiful shot.
I asked for your input and appreciate it thank you.

Maybe just a little less sky with some cropping. I love everything about it. I'm not sure if I would've thought to make it a sepia but, man oh man, it sure does work!
Thank you for sepia credit but I did not make that choice it’s really nothing more that cloudy white balance combined the the finale of fall color and sunset lighting.

Back