New tripod design?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was watching the following video from Morten Hilmer:

I noticed a new tripod he’s using and it’s a design that I’ve never seen before. It appears that he is able to adjust all the legs simultaneously from the top somehow….which seems like it would be a revolutionary design! Does anyone know what tripod he might be using?

Here are a couple screenshots…

D6D58298-1010-4B51-ADD5-0F6882B6ADDA.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

FF682E0B-E3DC-4B72-B283-F67C04E6C299.jpg

518984CB-34E0-4D33-8347-29BF7A136AF0.jpg

This is a Sachtler 75. It is indeed a unique, well designed high quality product - unlike the likes of PD. Vinten own Sachtler, so these legs are sold under either trademark.

I think the first model was released with a 100mm bowl, then the lighter 75mm. But the Flowtech 75 still weighs nearly 3kg without a head. They are designed primarily for the cinematography industry, nonetheless these tripods are ideal for heavier telephotos; this is besides the remarkable convenience of the top release leg lock system: solid support and reliable. Excellent product so by no means 'cheap'.

Last edited:
Ahh….I knew someone here would know! Looks like it’s around $1,800….figured it wasn’t cheap. Thanks for the quick responses guys! It is an impressive piece of kit.

Indeed, the Flowtech's are a very solid tripod and very speedy to setup and adjust, but they're bulkier and somewhat heavier (6.4lbs for the Flowtech 75) than your average CF photo tripod. They're overkill for most stills photography. But boy are they a dream to setup and adjust -- there's nothing else like it.

I agree to Garfield: it is a dream to setup and adjust, and yes, it is also an overkill for stills photography. I owned the Flowtech 75 for more than one year and used it with my Nikon D850 with Grip and Nikon 180-400 lens. At least, I sold it and bought a"slidely" lighter and less expensive alternative from Berlebach: https://www.berlebach.de/en/ and it works perfect for me. I bought the special Franz Bagyi (he is a famous hungarian wildlife photograper) edition: https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=248# and for me it is also a dream to setup and adjust.

the Berlebech sure looks well made and solid, and it's 5kg listed: heavier than a 2.9kg Flowtech 75. Obviously the head adds 1 kg and often more.

Wooden tripods are rarely seen in photography these days, it's only geodesy where I still see them ie precision surveying. Presumably they dampen vibrations better than carbon composites. Interesting to see they are still being used by some photographers 🙂

I agree to Garfield: it is a dream to setup and adjust, and yes, it is also an overkill for stills photography. I owned the Flowtech 75 for more than one year and used it with my Nikon D850 with Grip and Nikon 180-400 lens. At least, I sold it and bought a"slidely" lighter and less expensive alternative from Berlebach: https://www.berlebach.de/en/ and it works perfect for me. I bought the special Franz Bagyi (he is a famous hungarian wildlife photograper) edition: https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=248# and for me it is also a dream to setup and adjust.

Last edited:
I could not see the value of the $1800 legs for my own usage. I bought the Robus RC-5570 instead for $470 that includes a 75mm bowl for use with a video head. Takes 2 seconds to remove the bowl and Sachtler head to go to a flat base and a gimbal head. Highly recommend the Robus legs that are as well built as my RRS and Feisol tripods and it includes a very nice carry case that has an end that unzips to make it long enough to accommodate the Sachtler head.

I did get the Sachtler Ace XL fluid head which works very well with the Robus legs. I also use a iFootage video head on my Gitzo 2531 legs which have a quick leveling feature (why they were the most popular legs for wildlife videographers for years) for lighter lenses. With the 2 lbs lighter 800mm PF replacing the 600mm f/4 I need to re-evaluate which video head to use.

More recent video by Morten Hilmer. He shows his Sachtler Flowtech in action, from ~24:00 , stalking deer. The top release system has obvious advantages. The weight of his rig surely totals close to 9kg: Z9, 400 f2.8S TC on 2.9kg tripod plus fluid head. However, he's more than physically capable, being ex Danish Sirius Patrol and keeping fit since then....

Last edited:
More recent video by Morten Hilmer. He shows his Sachtler Flowtech in action, from ~24:00 , stalking deer. The top release system has obvious advantages. The weight of his rig surely totals close to 9kg: Z9, 400 f2.8S TC on 2.9kg tripod plus fluid head. However, he's more than physically capable, being ex Danish Sirius Patrol and keeping fit since then....

I have noticed that Morten Hilmer seems to have far more video content in his clips than still photography, i am seeing many other photographers doing the transition to videography, hence a change in equipment, tripods, cameras, lenses.

I mean watching the badgers on video was lovely, and as soon as the still shot came up it was instant boring to look at a frozen badger, by comparison.

The tripod he uses is suited to video, fluid head, and legs that are made up of individual peaces for less vibrational transference from wind etc plus the need for weight for stability as well as other features supporting video-film.

Only an opinion

I could not see the value of the $1800 legs for my own usage. I bought the Robus RC-5570 instead for $470 that includes a 75mm bowl for use with a video head. Takes 2 seconds to remove the bowl and Sachtler head to go to a flat base and a gimbal head. Highly recommend the Robus legs that are as well built as my RRS and Feisol tripods and it includes a very nice carry case that has an end that unzips to make it long enough to accommodate the Sachtler head.

I did get the Sachtler Ace XL fluid head which works very well with the Robus legs. I also use a iFootage video head on my Gitzo 2531 legs which have a quick leveling feature (why they were the most popular legs for wildlife videographers for years) for lighter lenses. With the 2 lbs lighter 800mm PF replacing the 600mm f/4 I need to re-evaluate which video head to use.
I use for landscapes seascapes long exposures a Gitzo Studex made in France, comes with several extension centre tubes, one tube is very long that i can even use it upside down in the tripod centre for unique macro work, also to hold the camera and lens even one inch over the water or ground while having a massive foot print, incredible.

Sold for for a fortune new now $150-$250 AUD used. Easy to pull apart clean and reassemble.

Gitzo (2).jpg
Gitzo (1).jpg

I also use a Benro C4570T Classic Series Tripod with carbon fiber legs.
I have it only because I got it dirt cheap at a store closing down sale, plus i can leave it stand in salty water rock shelves pools for long periods, or walk along the beaches a long way with it, as well as it doesn't seem to transfer vibration in high winds as much as steel or aluminum.

Wooden tripods i found the best for high wind and flowing streams dealing with vibration.

For light weight travel and walk around i have several Chinese clone tripods like the SIRUI, sadly they have all failed in some way including the heads, there basically by sight the same as many other generic of brand Chinese tripods found under different names and colours but available at a fraction of the price.

Heads a i use a variety of quality Gitzo heads three way and ball heads, i pick up dirt cheap, 1/4 of the new price, in mint condition, or its Wimberley gimbals.

I basically have options to cover heavy duty, medium duty, and ultra lightweight super compact travel tripod that fits in your coat pocket.

I find Gitzo especially used used are brilliant tools and spectacular buys.

I have 5 tripods with quality heads covering all my needs and some, all for less than the price of one new high end expensive brand.

Only an opinion

Back