New video on noise and cropping

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you are talking about this one, yep it's a good'n as always. Wouldn't call it new though. I think it brings home the idea that any apples to apples comparison for any reason has to be at the same viewing distance and image size.

I just watched Steve's video on cropping and noise. As one who does a mess of cropping I appreciate this food for thought. Thanks for the information.
Yep…one reason to…if necessary…shift from FX to DX mode if you're going to end up cropping anyway. No (or less) crop also means less amplification of noise. True…with DX mode you lose some MP and thereby potentially some sharpness…but for Nikons at least the bigger in the frame subject just about cancels out the fewer MP in the image. And the smaller files mean a deeper buffer as well.

I just watched Steve's video on cropping and noise. As one who does a mess of cropping I appreciate this food for thought. Thanks for the information.
Yup, it's not a new one, but one that I think is really important. That's why I put it in the newsletter today. I really think it addresses some of the root problems a lot of wildlife shooters have, it's just getting them to watch it that's the trick :)

Yep…one reason to…if necessary…shift from FX to DX mode if you're going to end up cropping anyway. No (or less) crop also means less amplification of noise. True…with DX mode you lose some MP and thereby potentially some sharpness…but for Nikons at least the bigger in the frame subject just about cancels out the fewer MP in the image. And the smaller files mean a deeper buffer as well.

As far as noise goes DX mode in camera is the same as cropping the same amount in post, but as you say the smaller files and faster write time and more room in the buffer could be a reason to do it. Better to put on a longer lens if only I had one.

Back