New Z Gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I placed my preorder for the Z 100-400 on 2 Feb. As of 3 weeks ago I was #3 on the waiting list. I got the call and picked up the lens yesterday afternoon. I will have it in hand for our coming visit to Kearney, hoping there will still be some sandhill cranes around the first week of April.
Last week I also placed my reservation for a Z9 after I got to hold one and be sure it was what I wanted. I am #6 on that wait list and expect it to be a few months to get my order. My local shop is getting a regular but limited supply and expects it might be sooner. We shall see.

Last edited:
I placed my preorder for the Z 100-400 on 2 Feb, As of 3 weeks ago I was #3 on hte waiting list. I got the call and picked up the lens yesterday afternoon.
Here in central Europe my preorder of Z 100-400 from 28.1. is still waiting for next batch of Nikon supplies.

Reactions: JAS
I ordered one on 4th March hoping but not really expecting to get it by the end of April before I go on a tour. I have the z 70-200 with the 2xTC which is sharp enough for my needs on my Z6. This pairing is my stop-gap until we see the 200-600.

Hmm, called my local camera shop last Monday 3/7 and he said he just sold his last one but had more on order, called me Friday 3/11 and said he had one for me, picked it up today 3/16 along with a Z 2X teleconverter.
Murphy’s Camera, Lexington, Ky and Louisville, Ky don’t know if he had more or not.
Congratulations!

Hmm, called my local camera shop last Monday 3/7 and he said he just sold his last one but had more on order, called me Friday 3/11 and said he had one for me, picked it up today 3/16 along with a Z 2X teleconverter.
Murphy’s Camera, Lexington, Ky and Louisville, Ky don’t know if he had more or not.
I tried them on line and they web said they have one in stock. So I ordered it. We'll see..

some quick hand held shots with the 100-400, this one is with tc-2X 800mm f11 50% crop
DSC_1397.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Congrats! Murphy's is also my go-to camera store!

I placed my preorder for the Z 100-400 on 2 Feb. As of 3 weeks ago I was #3 on the waiting list. I got the call and picked up the lens yesterday afternoon. I will have it in hand for our coming visit to Kearney, hoping there will still be some sandhill cranes around the first week of April.
Last week I also placed my reservation for a Z9 after I got to hold one and be sure it was what I wanted. I am #6 on that wait list and expect it to be a few months to get my order. My local shop is getting a regular but limited supply and expects it might be sooner. We shall see.
I look at new equipment as a strategy. At least for buying. If I think I might what a new "thing" and I know it will be back ordered, I put in my order in the first moment it is available. I can decide later if I really want it and cancel if I don't. I use a small camera shop for hot buys since they don't have a waiting list of 5000 people. They get 1 or 2 items at a time on new stuff. I've been successful with this strategy and ordered my Z9 and 100-400mm on day one. I got my 100-400 in Dec and the Z9 in Feb. I'm wasn't NPS but got the order in early. Even on the day I got it, I could cancel because there were 20 people in the cue to get one that would have gladly taken it. Been shooting them both and I am very pleased. PS: great photos.
220318 SpaceX Starlink 4-12-3215-1563-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Good strategy. I was dealing with very serious health issues in 2021 and wanted to be a bit stronger before proceeding. I have good gear now and need one more mirror less body - Z7II or Z9 and wanted a hands on before making that choice given the costs involved. I am willing to wait and am looking forward to the new body.

Good strategy. I was dealing with very serious health issues in 2021 and wanted to be a bit stronger before proceeding. I have good gear now and need one more mirror less body - Z7II or Z9 and wanted a hands on before making that choice given the costs involved. I am willing to wait and am looking forward to the new body.
Maybe the Z7III or Z8 is in your future.

The 100-400mm finally seems to be in the shops here too...🦘

Maybe the Z7III or Z8 is in your future.
I like my Z6 but it is too small for my "bear paw" sized hands. The D850 is the first camera I have owned that fits my hand size comfortably. That is why I wanted to get hold a Z9. It fits so I ordered one. Adding a grip does not help the smaller cameras because the buttons don't get farther apart with a grip. So, Z9 it is.

Last edited:
I like my Z6 but it is too small for my "bear paw" sized hands. The D850 is the first camera I have owned that fits my hand size comfortably. That is why I wanted to get hold a Z9. It fits so I ordered one. Adding a grip does not help the smaller cameras because the buttons don't get farther apart with a grip. So, Z9 it is.
I have a Z9 but I do like the D850/D5 ergonomics and button.
The Z9 is an awesome camera and the first mirrorless with a descent battery 🦘

Back