If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

White-tailed Ptarmigan, Medicine Bow Bend in Rocky Mountain National Park, summer
280mm lens
lagleu01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Despite shooting for 4o years and living in Colorado I have never done any wildlife . Looking for suggestion: where to go, when to go, what to shoot?
I don't know my way around Colorado, but cities are not the worst place to start with.
There is more wildlife than you think, and it's easier to approach animals, since they are used to be near humans.

I don't know my way around Colorado, but cities are not the worst place to start with.
There is more wildlife than you think, and it's easier to approach animals, since they are used to be near humans.
I don't know Colorado either, but I'll second this. There's a state park somewhat near where I live where all hunting is prohibited, it's right next to MSP International Airport and smack in the middle of the Twin Cities. There are several very nice whitetail bucks that I can get so close I'm zoomed all the way back to 200mm on my 200-500mm, whereas a wild whitetail buck will be gone before I even know they're there. In fact, this past summer I had a little 3-point that was grazing, I stood still and he got within 5 feet of me!

Despite shooting for 4o years and living in Colorado I have never done any wildlife . Looking for suggestion: where to go, when to go, what to shoot?
Whereabouts in Colorado? If you are interested in birds, you can go to eBIrd.org and go to Explore a Region to find locations where interesting birds have been seen recently. I like to go for the bigger slow ones--like cranes, geese, other waterbirds. For example, looking at the Boulder lists, yesterday someone reported 3500 cackling geese in a hotspot near Fort Collins. That would be a great place to see!

Wow, I wish that I had your dilemma! Colorado is blessed with some of the most iconic wildlife, and national and state parks - I’d start there. Check out their respective websites to see what wildlife is present, and when and where to go. Talk with some rangers - they’re always goldmines of useful information. You can also check with your local Audubon chapters for information on birds. As a rule of thumb, early mornings and late evenings are good times for wildlife (not to mention, better times for good light). Best of luck, and happy shooting!

You might have fun photographing creatures in your own neighborhood to start — songbirds, squirrels and the like. Good practice too.

I have found owls and other interesting birds in local parks in Minneapolis and St Paul where I live. Birds are everywhere. Ponds, lakes and rivers may have interesting waterfowl, both residents, and in the spring and fall, migratory birds.

You might also look at national wildlife refuges in Colorado. Google suggests there are 8. When I was not travelling during the pandemic, I looked around for places closer to home and found a number of national wildlife refuges that were fun to go to with my camera. Do some checking on them, as birds and other creatures may very significantly by season.

I don't know Colorado either, but I'll second this. There's a state park somewhat near where I live where all hunting is prohibited, it's right next to MSP International Airport and smack in the middle of the Twin Cities. There are several very nice whitetail bucks that I can get so close I'm zoomed all the way back to 200mm on my 200-500mm, whereas a wild whitetail buck will be gone before I even know they're there. In fact, this past summer I had a little 3-point that was grazing, I stood still and he got within 5 feet of me!
Thanks! I also have a lake cabin in North Dakota right on the Canadian border. It's like all the animals hid when I am around

Thanks! I also have a lake cabin in North Dakota right on the Canadian border. It's like all the animals hid when I am around
We also have a cabin in northern Minnesota on a lake. About 30 miles from the Canadian border, at least if you are a bird. The lake is fairly big and so has a number of common loon families. Also mergansers, golden eyes, mallards, osprey, broad shouldered hawks, merlin, bald eagles, various gulls, various warblers and shorebirds, kingfishers, and interesting migratory birds early and late in the season. We also see black bears, foxes, mink, beavers, woodchucks, muskrats, river otters, and deer. If lucky, occasionally a timber wolf.

If you have a canoe or kayak, it’s a great way to get out on the water and photograph waterbirds and other creatures. You have a nice low angle and can often get closer than you would in other water vehicles without disturbing the subjects.

Whereabouts in Colorado? If you are interested in birds, you can go to eBIrd.org and go to Explore a Region to find locations where interesting birds have been seen recently. I like to go for the bigger slow ones--like cranes, geese, other waterbirds. For example, looking at the Boulder lists, yesterday someone reported 3500 cackling geese in a hotspot near Fort Collins. That would be a great place to see!
Denver and Winter park

Explore close to home. This past winter I was made aware of a small lake approximately 3 miles from my home that attracts a number of bald eagles that migrate from the north to find food. They don't spend a long time in the area, but in speaking to a few locals I have discovered several lakes in the area they visit. There can be up to a hundred bald eagles on some of these small lakes at times. Now I was born here so I am as local as you can get, why wasn't I aware of this, was I not paying attention, have I passed these lakes so many times I don't even look? I think sometimes we really need to reexamine our surrounds, we might be surprised at what we see.

Reactions: DsD
I live in the Denver area as well. Bighorn Sheep can be found in Waterton Canyon which is just upstream of Chatfield Reservoir. Take a drive through the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR in Commerce City, bison can be found there. I've seen some nice wildlife pics taken from Crown Hill Park in Wheatridge.

Explore close to home.

This is great advice. There is much more nearby than most people realize, and by visiting often and spending some time observing you can get to know individuals (and they learn to trust you) and you'll be able to time your visit(s) for particular seasons, light and activities.

Explore close to home. This past winter I was made aware of a small lake approximately 3 miles from my home that attracts a number of bald eagles that migrate from the north to find food. They don't spend a long time in the area, but in speaking to a few locals I have discovered several lakes in the area they visit. There can be up to a hundred bald eagles on some of these small lakes at times. Now I was born here so I am as local as you can get, why wasn't I aware of this, was I not paying attention, have I passed these lakes so many times I don't even look? I think sometimes we really need to reexamine our surrounds, we might be surprised at what we see.
@ARLINGTONPHOTO, I'm nowhere close to Colorado .... but haven't seen any actually welcome you to Backcountry Gallery Forum. So WELCOME, and glad you found this place!
Thanks the advice has been great

Back