Newby with mirrorless z6II. This issue has been resolved. Thanks to all that replied.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I set up my i menu according to Steves Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System ebook. I came from a D500, but never used the i button., so maybe not familiar with how it operates. My i menu resembles the one on p86 of the book. I guess I assumed you would activate one of the functions, ie area in area mode and then photo from that point. When I use the af-on button on the camera, the camera defaults back to the home button in area mode. Not sure of the correct naming of these functions, but when looking in the viewfinder, nothing has changed and seems AF-C remains at the top of the screen. Hope this makes some sense. Maybe I missed something along the way, but the main issue seems to be shooting a photo out of the i button. Thanks in advance for helping me navigate this issue.

I set up my i menu according to Steves Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System ebook. I came from a D500, but never used the i button., so maybe not familiar with how it operates. My i menu resembles the one on p86 of the book. I guess I assumed you would activate one of the functions, ie area in area mode and then photo from that point. When I use the af-on button on the camera, the camera defaults back to the home button in area mode.
I think it’d help if you could post of photo of what you’re seeing when you press the AF-ON button. Also, which camera are you using? Is it a Z7II?

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something along the way, but the main issue seems to be shooting a photo out of the i button.
I'm not really following all of your post, but you don't shoot a photo out of the imenu, the point of the imenu is that it serves as a shortcut to menu items you want to access quickly and in a graphical format. So it's basically the same as going into your menu and making changes but quicker. So, for instance if there's something you change a lot like changing your AF Tracking Lock On or VR settings, you can put that in your imenu and jump right to it to make changes.

But you don't shoot from the imenu, you just make menu changes there and then go back to shooting either through the viewfinder or via the rear panel LCD.

I set up my i menu according to Steves Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System ebook. I came from a D500, but never used the i button., so maybe not familiar with how it operates. My i menu resembles the one on p86 of the book. I guess I assumed you would activate one of the functions, ie area in area mode and then photo from that point. When I use the af-on button on the camera, the camera defaults back to the home button in area mode. Not sure of the correct naming of these functions, but when looking in the viewfinder, nothing has changed and seems AF-C remains at the top of the screen. Hope this makes some sense. Maybe I missed something along the way, but the main issue seems to be shooting a photo out of the i button. Thanks in advance for helping me navigate this issue.
I think it’d help if you could post of photo of what you’re seeing when you press the AF-ON button. Also, which camera are you using? Is it a Z7II?
I'm not really following all of your post, but you don't shoot a photo out of the imenu, the point of the imenu is that it serves as a shortcut to menu items you want to access quickly and in a graphical format. So it's basically the same as going into your menu and making changes but quicker. So, for instance if there's something you change a lot like changing your AF Tracking Lock On or VR settings, you can put that in your imenu and jump right to it to make changes.

But you don't shoot from the imenu, you just make menu changes there and then go back to shooting either through the viewfinder or via the rear panel LCD.
Thank you. I found my issue. I was not seeing all the necessary changes in my view finder and misinterpreted what I was seeing. And what you say helps clear the fog out of my mind sorting this out for a couple of days. Thx agin.

Please disregard the issue as I apparently was misinterpreting what I was seeing in the viewfinder. I should be ok with my settings and just have to get out and try them out. Thanks for your input.

I think I have my problem figured out as it was photographer issues. Thank you for your reply and I am shooting a new z6II.
Hi Bob. Despite having posted that you’ve resolved your problem, it would be best if you added [SOLVED] or something like that to the title. Otherwise you may get more posts with members trying to help. 🙂

Back