Newtons rings/ stripes on sky photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Why do I get newton rings?? in sky photos. One is processed with Dxo raw 3 ,which makes it worse, the other is jpeg. Nikon Z9 -300mmPF+1.4TC .This also happens with sunset/moon shots as well. Is it the dxo raw or something else.

Attachments

• DSC_2290-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD test web.jpg
    DSC_2290-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD test web.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC_2290 web.jpg
    DSC_2290 web.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC_3788-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEX test.jpg
    DSC_3788-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEX test.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 4
  • sun sky banding.jpg
    sun sky banding.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
I agree - I don't see anything I'd call Newton's rings. All I see is the rainbow, and if that was your subject I don't know what you're asking about. Are you seeing banding? That could be a display issue.
Yes, there may be some banding in the rainbow. Is that what you're seeing? That would be from processing.

Yeah - if I go full screen I can see light banding in the rainbow. Smooth blends will sometimes have steps in color gradients. That can be made worse with JPG compression as it is trying to reduce the number of colors used to reduce the file size. Adding a small amount of noise/grain in those areas can eliminate banding. Reducing the JPG compression (larger file sizes) can also help.

Is it possible that the rainbow was there but you didn't notice it when shooting? Does it only happen near the ocean, or do you get the same with shots inland?
Hi saw rainbow,wanted kite surfer in middle,but no luck .It happens most with sun/sky/ moon shots. But when pointing directly at sun,with fog in foreground, to get sunspot pics, no problem? unless I cooked the sensor somehow? but never shoot at full sun.

Yeah - if I go full screen I can see light banding in the rainbow. Smooth blends will sometimes have steps in color gradients. That can be made worse with JPG compression as it is trying to reduce the number of colors used to reduce the file size. Adding a small amount of noise/grain in those areas can eliminate banding. Reducing the JPG compression (larger file sizes) can also help.
Ok can try, the original raw-dxo pure raw jpeg ,still has banding thoug, but can't post large files here.Wonder if DXO is causing it,only use that now for raw conversions.

Try adding a little noise or grain. That will essentially add dithering in the blended areas. It can be a very small amount that won't be noticeable to the viewer. You can do it just in the sky where there is the smooth color gradient.

Yeah I can see it in the rainbow. It doesn't quite look like newtons rings, perhaps it's some kind of banding caused by something in post. I know I use to get weird grid like banding when lens correction was enable in lightroom on certain lenses with my Z8.

Newtons rings are caused by using a UV filter in certain conditions, almost always when taking a picture of the sky. Unfortunately that is just the reality of shooting with a UV filter sometimes. It seems to happen more often with cheaper filters, but anytime you are shooting the sky with a UV filter on it's possible to get newtons rings in your image. Even on the nicest primes and most expensive UV filter, if the conditions are right for it, you will get newtons rings. Only way to truly solve the issue other than in post is to remove the filter for those shots, or if possible angle the camera differently. I know that's not always possible if you are shooting near the ocean or a dusty wind driven environment, it just kind of is what it is. But your issue doesn't really look like newtons rings to me.

Back