Niagara Falls, Lens question.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have never been there, I need a few days vacation on a budget.

Drive by car is about 6-7 hours.
Which hotel?
Which lens? I want to go lighter so we can enjoy nature.

Is a tripod a must?

Lenses to choose:
14-24-70-200 /2.8 trio.
20/1.8
50/1.2 & 1.8
85/1.2
105 MC
400/4.5
800pf
TC’s.

Z8, or Z9?

Thanks!

Tripod not necessary unless you’re going to want long exposures. And really for most of the falls my 24-120 would be fine so the 2.8mtrio is just fine. The Zi and Z9 are functionally 99% equivalent…so take whichever you like.

Which hotel?

Is a tripod a must?

Lenses to choose:
14-24-70-200 /2.8 trio.
20/1.8
50/1.2 & 1.8
85/1.2
105 MC
400/4.5
800pf
TC’s.

Z8, or Z9?

Thanks!

The 2.8 trio. Tripod and NDs for long exposure of the falls, as well as panos. Either body, I'm partial to the 9.

Canadian side much more spectacular, I think. Can be lots of mist depending on wind direction. So maybe a clear filter.

I’d go the 14-24, the 50 f/1.8 and the 70-200. The 50 mm is a lot lighter than the 24-70 and personally, I’ve never missed filling the gap either side. To me 35 & 60 odd mm are pretty redundant. Tripod optional unless you take ND filters to smooth the water......like everyone else does......
You could also challenge yourself and take the 20 mm and leave the 14-24 home.

I ordered the 24-120
Its S but no VR
You will likely make most of your images with the 24-120mm. Add the 14-24 and you're good. I've only ever used my 24-70mm and may very occasionally use the 14-30mm.
I was in the Four Points Sheraton three weeks ago. Nice hotel, but you have to pay extra for a room with a view on the falls. That's probably true for all hotels there. I've also stayed in the Marriott Fallsview hotel. I would recommend both.

Which hotel?

Is a tripod a must?

Lenses to choose:
14-24-70-200 /2.8 trio.
20/1.8
50/1.2 & 1.8
85/1.2
105 MC
400/4.5
800pf
TC’s.

Z8, or Z9?

Thanks!
I’d stay on the Canadian side, if possible. The hotels right in the midst of it all are expensive, but there are a number of decent smaller motels and inns just up the road a bit, still offering an easy walk down to where you want to be. Plan for crowds, especially in summer. There’s also a very nice butterfly conservatory on the Canadian side, just up the road a few miles from the falls.

As for lenses, go short. No need for longer lenses or TCs. Leave macro out, unless you’re planning on visiting the butterfly place. Your 14-24 and 20mm would be perfect. The 70-200 might offer some nice scenics, so it’s worth throwing into your bag too. Bring a tripod, and ND and polarizing filters for those longer exposures of flowing water.

Canada offers the best views of the falls by far, although the American side also can be interesting for up close to the water (river and falls). If you don’t have proper IDs to get across the Canadian border (passport, enhanced DL, Nexus), just be content with what the American side offers - it’s still pretty spectacular. The Niagara River gorge also offers some very nice vistas, and there are beautiful parks that allow you to climb down to the waters edge safely (although the stairs are work!). Goat Island is worth a look.

Although a bit touristy, a ride on the Maid of the Mist tour boat is a fun experience, especially if you have kids (they will love it). Just leave your cameras at home, and plan to get wet, but it’s all worth it. The boat takes you right up to the cataract.

Good luck, and have fun!

Canadian side much more spectacular, I think. Can be lots of mist depending on wind direction. So maybe a clear filter.
The American side offers some views you just can't see from the Canadian side tho. You have to do a bit of walking and you can even go down to the bottom. I recommend both sides. And if you're there around Christmas the Canadian side shines colored lights on the falls. Quite the view.

And if you're in the mood for a short drive checkout the Fort Niagara - it's at the end of the Niagara river and Lake Ontario on the America side. Take your 14-24 and 24-120 to the Fort. Most interesting...

Agree on having passports or enhanced DL for border crossing. But be warned it could take hours to cross. The Peace Bridge can be a parking lot. There are 3 bridges tho so you've not limited to the Peace Bridge..

Fort Niagara-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Fort Niagara-1.jpg

Last edited:
Last time we went to Canada an App was needed where you uploaded proof of vaccination and other info. It went very smooth once the app info was filled out.

Wow!
Thank you all so much for the invaluable information.
We have passports, no vaccination cards though.

As it looks now, we will have to postpone the trip to niagara until after the jewish holidays. Simply because sooooo many people are asking for studio sessions, the loss would be too much. As per the stress, we rescheduled a session from today, and we went to Niagara of Pennsylvania “Bushkill Falls”. Just a Z8 with a 50/1.8, freshly squeezed lemon water for electrolytes, and spent the day on the trails.

I’m saving this thread for a real Niagara Falls. As my wife said, Niagara Falls are 20x the experience of Bushkill Falls.

(The 24-120 should arrive tomorrow, let’s see how it performs in studio with teenagers… they want a full body pose plus a close up in 15 seconds…)

It's not Niagara but Letchworth State Park has nice falls. Cabins or a lodge to stay, and things to do in the general area.

I've been there three times (both sides), and the falls are majestic - the tourism less so. Would definitely bring a wide angle to catch the sheer size of the falls, and a tripod may be a good idea for long exposures, day or night.

On the Canadian side, there are pillars all along the walk that views the falls. I saved myself a lot of stress not carrying a full size tripod and had a small, carbon fiber table top tripod that I set-up on the pillars or where I could. It was a treat to walk about with only a shoulder bag.

20191004-DSC_9179.jpeg

Photo credit to my wife, Michelle.
IMG_7339.jpeg

TonyB…I always carry one of those myself…and have discovered that wide shoulders also make an excellent no tripod along camera support. I’ve shot HDR waterfall brackets down to 1.4 of a second like that…the secret is after selecting burst engage the self timer so all the shots happen on a single shutter press and telling her (and myself) not to breathe BTW…excellent shot.

Back