Nice Red Tail fly by...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I know you guys have seen alot of raptor posts but this beautiful red tail hawk was doing runs by my house, 3 times, today. Took some pics. Normally I get alot of belly shots but I was on an elevated deck and he was dropping below me allowing me to get some eye level or slight below shots. Hope you all like them. First 2 had some subtle shadowing from a pine tree he flew by, so had hi and low lights. Only regret is the eyes were tough to bring out with sun behind him but accentuated the red tail though which to me is a fair trade, love tail color on these guys..
DSC_6688-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_6689-Edit.jpg

DSC_6690-Edit.jpg

DSC_6694-Edit.jpg
DSC_6692-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I know you guys have seen alot of raptor posts but this beautiful red tail hawk was doing runs by my house, 3 times, today. Took some pics. Normally I get alot of belly shots but I was on an elevated deck and he was dropping below me allowing so eye level slight below shots. Hope you all like them. First 2 had some subtle shadowing from a pine tree he flew by, so had hi and low lights. Only regret is the eyes were tough to bring out with sun behind him but accentuated the red tail though.
View attachment 36541
View attachment 36542
View attachment 36543
View attachment 36544View attachment 36545
Curt , Very Cool perspective👍👍👍. Don’t usually see them at this angle.

Curt , Very Cool perspective👍👍👍. Don’t usually see them at this angle.
Thanks Ralph. They are always overhead and he was dropping down. I was hoping he would find some prey for Easter snack but no luck there. Got about 50 percent in focus on the shots

Is this one of those times when it is appropriate to say" I do not like them, I LOVE them."
Normally I would say thank you but I will just have to say I REALLY THANK YOU then!!!!:D Friend of mine just moved to Crown Pointe area of Boise, he is retiring from CA loves Boise.

Well, in that case, you are welcome.

I was born and raised here. Must have been at least 30,000 people here when I graduated high school in 1965. When I brought my wife here in 1975 there were only 750,000 in the whole state of Idaho. I was stationed in California with the Marines for a couple of years and I enjoyed some of it there, but I was VERY happy to return home.

Well, in that case, you are welcome.

I was born and raised here. Must have been at least 30,000 people here when I graduated high school in 1965. When I brought my wife here in 1975 there were only 750,000 in the whole state of Idaho. I was stationed in California with the Marines for a couple of years and I enjoyed some of it there, but I was VERY happy to return home.
I would imagine you guys are sickened by the influx of people from the west coast. I hear you area is a hot market now. My friend is doing some fishing guide work and working in local fly shop. Great to make money off a hobby you love! My experience with Idaho has been south and east on way to Yellowstone or Glacier. I saw Coeur d'ALene once and it was gorgeous.

Fantastic shots KurtT ,love the elevated perspective . its a toss up between images 3 and 5 for me as to which I like best , I think number 3 just edges it ..

What set up did you use for these - Camera Lens etc ? ?

Harry.G

I would imagine you guys are sickened by the influx of people from the west coast. I hear you area is a hot market now. My friend is doing some fishing guide work and working in local fly shop. Great to make money off a hobby you love! My experience with Idaho has been south and east on way to Yellowstone or Glacier. I saw Coeur d'ALene once and it was gorgeous.
It still is gorgeous. This whole state is gorgeous in so many ways. Yes, it is getting a little crowded, but people ere are so nice and easy going that we deal with it gracefully, for the most part. There were some rude bumper stickers back in the late 70's, such as "Don't Californicate Idaho."

Fantastic shots KurtT ,love the elevated perspective . its a toss up between images 3 and 5 for me as to which I like best , I think number 3 just edges it ..

What set up did you use for these - Camera Lens etc ? ?

Harry.G
Thank you Harry. Using D850 500pf at 1/2500 5.6

I know you guys have seen alot of raptor posts but this beautiful red tail hawk was doing runs by my house, 3 times, today. Took some pics. Normally I get alot of belly shots but I was on an elevated deck and he was dropping below me allowing me to get some eye level or slight below shots. Hope you all like them. First 2 had some subtle shadowing from a pine tree he flew by, so had hi and low lights. Only regret is the eyes were tough to bring out with sun behind him but accentuated the red tail though which to me is a fair trade, love tail color on these guys..
View attachment 36541
View attachment 36542
View attachment 36543
View attachment 36544View attachment 36545
These are great! I also live pretty high up and can get eye level or even top down photos of these guys. Makes for a more pleasing photo than sky-background belly shots.

These are great! I also live pretty high up and can get eye level or even top down photos of these guys. Makes for a more pleasing photo than sky-background belly shots.
Thanks! I usually only get top of wings if happen to bank or way out from me.

Back