Night frog photography Costa Rica

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would appreciate any advice regarding the photography of frogs at night (red eye frog etc) as far as lighting system. Should I use a flash, a continuous led panel?
Which is the one that is the less problematic for the frogs?
Any other advice are welcome.
Thanks

No expert, having only done it once, but consderations are that you're probably going to be shooting in dense vegetation, at night, and they're tiny. Something portable and nimble like a small twin flash rig that you can shoot handheld might work, but you need a lot of working distance since you probably can't get too close. Frankly I found my iPhone at arms length the easiest. As I said, I'm no expert. Steve leads trips doing this, so I'm interested in his ideas. I'll go back and try again.

No expert, having only done it once, but consderations are that you're probably going to be shooting in dense vegetation, at night, and they're tiny. Something portable and nimble like a small twin flash rig that you can shoot handheld might work, but you need a lot of working distance since you probably can't get too close. Frankly I found my iPhone at arms length the easiest. As I said, I'm no expert. Steve leads trips doing this, so I'm interested in his ideas. I'll go back and try again.
Thanks will also come with an iPhone along with the Nikon and 105 macro. I have both a flash and a led panel. Will give it a try to both

Back