Night photography, Banff, Alberta Canada

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DownToThis

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We visited Banff recently and the scenary there is spectacular! I had the oppotunity to meet up with a great landscape photographer Nick Fitzhardinge for an evening/night session. We started off in Canmore in the evening and then proceeded to different locations throughout Banff to capture the Milky Way. I had never done astrophotography before and have limited landscape experience but Nick was a fantastic instructor and knew the right spots to go to. The smoke from the wildfires didn't make for optimal pictures at our originally scheduled date but he was able to look at the weather and found a nice evening/night that worked out. These are a few pictures from the night time session (I'm still going through the evening pictures):

Downtown Banff:
NZ9_1926-Edit.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NZ9_1958-Edit.JPG

NZ9_1986-Edit.JPG

This is a panorama from 11 images. I hadn't done a panorama before (outside of my cell phone which is a lot easier). Nick pointed out the green in the sky is unfortunately not aurora but airglow, which is light in the atmosphere (https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...glow-the-colors-of-the-upper-atmospheric-wind). The bright light on the left is the town of Banff
NZ9_1999-Pano-Edit.JPG

This is me on the dock, we had a great time playing with different types of light in long exposure
NZ9_2014-Edit.JPG

Excellent photos! I’m going to some dark sky areas in a little under a week and these photos are providing some great inspiration on similar night shots of the stars and Milky Way that I hope to achieve.

Definitely shows how post processing can really change the mood or vibe of the scene too.

Thanks for sharing!

Excellent photos! I’m going to some dark sky areas in a little under a week and these photos are providing some great inspiration on similar night shots of the stars and Milky Way that I hope to achieve.

Definitely shows how post processing can really change the mood or vibe of the scene too.

Thanks for sharing!
20230717_012005.jpg

Post processing definitely helped (used topaz and lightroom) but the colors out of the camera were pretty impressive. This is a picture of the back of the camera I took that night.

Those are all great! Particularly the 2nd and last shots. I bought a 14-24 f/2.8 S hoping to get some astro shots. I returned it to my local dealer after a few weeks and got a 70-200 f2.8 S instead. Too much light pollution here and no trips planned,

Those are all great! Particularly the 2nd and last shots. I bought a 14-24 f/2.8 S hoping to get some astro shots. I returned it to my local dealer after a few weeks and got a 70-200 f2.8 S instead. Too much light pollution here and no trips planned,
I've found it to be a great lens. I had considered the 17-28 f/2.8 which I probably would have been happy with as well. But after first renting the 14-24 and trying it out I decided I liked having the option of going wider.

I've found it to be a great lens. I had considered the 17-28 f/2.8 which I probably would have been happy with as well. But after first renting the 14-24 and trying it out I decided I liked having the option of going wider.
I'll probably buy it again in the future. I also have a 20mm f/1.8G ED, but haven't used it on the Z 9 yet because I misplaced my FTZ II.

Back