Nikkor 500mm f/4… G vs. E FL questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My current “big lens” is a Nikkor 500mm f/4 G…I purchased it used 4 years ago for $3,400 and it has been a great lens.

With the drastic decreases in prices of used F-mount glass….I have contemplated buying the newer (and lighter) 500mm f/4 E FL. I have two main questions, both relating to AF:

1. Is the AF speed noticeably faster on the E FL model?

2. Is the AF noticeably quieter on the E FL model?

Anyone care to chime in? I would really like to hear from anyone who has used both lenses….and I guess it doesn’t necessarily have to be the 500.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has used the G version and E FL version of the same large prime (400, 500, or 600).

I had the G version for about 5 years, bought it used. Wasn't bad, but the AF was starting to squeak when I traded it in on the E. The G was ok, sharpest stopped down 2/3 but could never get decent results with a 1.4 tc, neither the II or III version. The E is sharper, especially wide open and takes a 1.4 much better (version III). As for the AF, about the same in speed and volume. However! My 500E had to have the AFS motor replaced when it was 4 years old. It's been less than 2 years since and the AFS motor is shot again. My 600 E needed an afs motor last year, 5.5 years old. My 500E doesn't see much use, so the afs motor failure is a concern. I'm hopeful my 600E will go at least another 6 years but since getting the 800pf, it, also, doesn't see much use. Use or sitting doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to the AFS motors in the big lenses. I try to take them out at least once a month for some exercise, can't say it makes a difference. AFS motor replacement runs around $900. If buying used, I'd probably factor that in.

I had the G version for about 5 years, bought it used. Wasn't bad, but the AF was starting to squeak when I traded it in on the E. The G was ok, sharpest stopped down 2/3 but could never get decent results with a 1.4 tc, neither the II or III version. The E is sharper, especially wide open and takes a 1.4 much better (version III). As for the AF, about the same in speed and volume. However! My 500E had to have the AFS motor replaced when it was 4 years old. It's been less than 2 years since and the AFS motor is shot again. My 600 E needed an afs motor last year, 5.5 years old. My 500E doesn't see much use, so the afs motor failure is a concern. I'm hopeful my 600E will go at least another 6 years but since getting the 800pf, it, also, doesn't see much use. Use or sitting doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to the AFS motors in the big lenses. I try to take them out at least once a month for some exercise, can't say it makes a difference. AFS motor replacement runs around $900. If buying used, I'd probably factor that in.
Interesting….and a little concerning. Thanks for your reply.

I've had both and I pretty much agree. I also had the 500E AF-S motor replaced 3-4 years into the 5 year warranty. Like you said, it needs regular 'exercise'.....
The 500E is sharper but the main appeal (for me) was the lighter weight, which is quite noticeable. If you carry the 500G around a lot (or hand hold it) the E version makes a lot of sense.

I have had both the G and E versions of the 500 and did not notice much difference in AF speed but the AF consistency was slightly better with the E. At close distances there wasn't much difference in sharpness but for mid to far distance subjects I feel the E was much better than G.

FL version advantage (400, 500, 600)

- lighter
- sharper (full open)
- better weight distribution
- better VR ( about 1.5 EV + panning mode) and quieter
- better AF ( far more steps in AF motor - about 40k vs 8k in G versions)
- electromagnetic diaphragme
- fluorine coats on meniscus glass

I had two E series lenses (600mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8) fail in less than 18 months and they cost me $1000 to have them repaired with Nikon's short warranty. I never had a problem with my other super telephoto and zoom lens over the past 30 years. This coincides with Nikon reducing the lens warranty in the USA from 5 years to only 1 year it appears that they had a large increase in warranty repairs that forced the change. When my 600 f/4E lens failed it was the same module that failed on the 70-200mm lens and it took 4 months for Nikon to have the part back in stock and do the repair on the lens. Being completely out of stock in the USA leads me to believe that the failure rate was much higher than in the past and so the stock levels were too low to deal with the influx of failed lenses.

Both lenses failed without warning and fortunately it did not happen while out of the country where the impact would have been much greater and more damaging.

I still own the 500G F4. It is much improved on the Z9. When I sold all my other F-mount gear I kept the 500 F4G and the TC 1.4. They work very well. I know I can reliably get focus and easily choose from a high keeper rate on the 500. The resulting images can be cropped as required.
I now have the 180-600 as a companion Lens. It is not as sharp but more flexible. Sometimes that is definitely much better, especially If the light and subject needs F5.6 or higher. I am still exploring its limitations. One seems to be that cropping has more limits.
I will have to see how much I use the 500 over the next 12 months. It’s a handful. I cope with it by mostly using a solid monopod and monogimbal. I like to use the same set up with the zoom but hand holding is also possible and often good in the right circumstances.
I rather suspect that (finances permitting) that the 600 F6.3 prime would be a better companion lens. I definitely like the lower weight.
All that said, with this focal length so much depends on your own practices and application in pursuit of a decent shot. As I acclimatise to the 180-600 I am aware that I have to think strategically about how best to use the lens. When either lenses produces a pleasing shot it doesn’t matter which lens I was using.

I still own the 500G F4. It is much improved on the Z9. When I sold all my other F-mount gear I kept the 500 F4G and the TC 1.4. They work very well. I know I can reliably get focus and easily choose from a high keeper rate on the 500. The resulting images can be cropped as required.
I now have the 180-600 as a companion Lens. It is not as sharp but more flexible. Sometimes that is definitely much better, especially If the light and subject needs F5.6 or higher. I am still exploring its limitations. One seems to be that cropping has more limits.
I will have to see how much I use the 500 over the next 12 months. It’s a handful. I cope with it by mostly using a solid monopod and monogimbal. I like to use the same set up with the zoom but hand holding is also possible and often good in the right circumstances.
I rather suspect that (finances permitting) that the 600 F6.3 prime would be a better companion lens. I definitely like the lower weight.
All that said, with this focal length so much depends on your own practices and application in pursuit of a decent shot. As I acclimatise to the 180-600 I am aware that I have to think strategically about how best to use the lens. When either lenses produces a pleasing shot it doesn’t matter which lens I was using.
I’m in a similar boat….I made the switch to mirrorless last year by purchasing a Z8. The 500 f/4 G is the only f-mount lens I kept and it works extremely well with the Z8. I also purchased the 180-600 as a companion lens and have been pleased with it (especially for the price).

I have contemplated getting the 600 f/6.3 but have not been convinced to pull the trigger yet.

I had the G and the Sigma OS f4 Sport. The Sigma was significantly better at f4, faster to focus, and much better with a tc. It was also much lighter and I could easily handhold.

Back