NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR Sharpness Variability

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Atterbud

Supporting Member
As an introduction, I am looking to buy either a used or new version of the 180-600, to be used with my Z8 for wildlife photography, predominantly for birds and birds in flight. I used to use Nikon for my kids sports for years, but moved to Canon a few years ago when we started to shoot more wildlife, but we are still very much in the learning stage. We are coming from a Canon R6 with the 100-500 which we have enjoyed, but I ultimately decided to switch back to Nikon as I think that the telephoto lens options at reasonable price points are wider than Canon. I ultimately would like to end up with the 180-600 plus the 800mm F6.3, but the bigger lens has to wait on funds!

I am looking for some advice on a variability of the sharpness and quality of the 180-600. I have read a decent amount about the sharpness not being consistent across copies and of people having to return multiple lenses until they found a sharp one. Could anyone offer any direction on whether this is a real problem or not. If it is more myth than reality, I could opt for a used lens and usefully save some $$ to put towards the 800mm, but if it is a real problem, I would be better off buying new and having the option to exchange the lens for another copy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There will always be some amount of variability from lens to lens. It’s unavoidable. However, in my experience, Z lens variability appears to be much less of an issue than with F lenses. Like @Cameron T, I’ve read reports of it with the 180-600, but my lens is sharp and others here seem to have a similar experience.

I have one that I got from my local dealer last year. I like it. The zoom flexibility is great and the sharpness is good. Of course the sharpness is not as good as the Z long telephoto primes; but you would not expect it to be given the zoom range and the price. I tend to take it when I want a one-lens long solution or when I might find wildlife on a trip that is not focused on wildlife. If I take two lenses, I’m more likely to take a long prime and the Z 100-400 mm lens.

I used the Z 180-600 mm quite a bit this summer from my kayak with good results.

I think most of us have only seen the results from our own copies, so we are not necessarily able to judge the extent of any copy variance. Several people used this lens on a recent trip I took to Botswana (although not me), including a friend of mine. I believe they liked their photos.

Note also, sharpness may vary a bit with focal length. It’s not uncommon for consumer telephoto zooms to be a bit weaker at their longest focal length. Some reviewers have noted the Z 180-600 mm is a bit softer from 550 mm to 600 mm. I have not found this to be a problem. I do usually run the photos through DxO PhotoLab Elite or PureRaw to get the benefits of the optics modules.

You may also find that the sharpness improves if you use the DxO optics modules in DxO PhotoLab Elite or PureRaw. You might look at Brad Hill’s website for some comments on this and other aspects of the lens.

Back