NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Firmware - V1.22

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just did it, but my battery was about halfway down (two bars out of four) so it would not let me at first. I got a message on camera screen saying insufficient battery to perform update (which is not true because it took less than a minute, but whatever). Thankfully I had a second fully charged battery so I did a quick swap and no issues.

• Improved focus tracking while the lens zoom ring is operated.
It's a rather cryptic description of the change. Anyone know specifically what issue was addressed?
On a Z9 the lens actually appears to focus better on target, but I need to test further, as I do not understand "while the lens zoom ring is operated."

Last edited:
  • Improved focus tracking while the lens zoom ring is operated.
It's a rather cryptic description of the change. Anyone know specifically what issue was addressed?
On a Z9 the lens actually appears to focus better on target, but I need to test further, as I do not understand "while the lens zoom ring is operated."
The way I read it is if you are pressing the shutter halfway to track a moving subject AND you are zooming in or out AT THE SAME TIME, then it might lose focus (before the update). I don't know that I have ever tried to zoom and focus at the same time, but I updated anyway just to stay current.

This update makes me think of a guy that posted on DPReview about the troubles he had shooting models as they walked down the runway. He was using the 70-200 f/2.8 and I bet he slowly zoomed out as the models got closer.

Back