Nikkor Z 85mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

McStamp

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I‘m evaluating a 85mm lens. The 1.8 is far cheaper than the 1.2, so I wonder if it is worth while spending so much more for more light. Has anyone some experience with one of these lenses?

I‘m evaluating a 85mm lens. The 1.8 is far cheaper than the 1.2, so I wonder if it is worth while spending so much more for more light. Has anyone some experience with one of these lenses?
I sold my 1.8 as soon as I got the 1.2. It's a lot more about the rendition of depth/transition to oof/pop than it is the extra brightness. I probably don't even shoot it at 1.2 that much because of the too-shallow (for my subject matter, which is product) depth of field. It's a heavy lens, in addition to being costly.

I sold my 1.8 as soon as I got the 1.2. It's a lot more about the rendition of depth/transition to oof/pop than it is the extra brightness. I probably don't even shoot it at 1.2 that much because of the too-shallow (for my subject matter, which is product) depth of field. It's a heavy lens, in addition to being costly.
Thanks for yr experience. Do you use the 1.2 lens in landscape?

I love the shallow DOF with portraits, people or in street scenes
It's made for that. Just watch focus, at 1.2 if you're 6 ft away, it's easy to get one soft eye. If I shoot it at 1.2 I'm typically magnifying the EVF and focus manually (Z9), and even then I check it on the computer monitor as I shoot (tethered).

There is no doubt that the 85 f1.8S is a fantastic lens, I had it and it is capable of excellent results, a real little gem and punches above it's weight. However, the 85 f1.2S is at another level, the bokeh, the bokeh transition, the sharpness, the colour rendition are all a step above. The drawbacks? Price, size and weight but it's worth it to me.

My calculations are from f/1.8 to f/1.4 is equal to approximately 2/3rd's of a stop, and from f/1.4 to f/1.2 is equal to approximately 1/2 stop. Totaled, I get approximately a stop and a 1/8th. I base this on full stops being 1.0, 1.4 and 2.0 etc. Is there an error in my calculation?

--Ken

Last edited:
My calculations are from f/1.8 to f/1.4 is equal to approximately 2/3rd's of a stop, and from f/1.4 to f/1.2 is equal to approximately 1/2 stop. Totaled, I get approximately a stop and a 1/8th. I base this on full stops being 1.0, 1.4 and 2.0 etc. Is there an error in my calculation?

--Ken
I dont know! All my photographic life i thought 1.2 to 1.4 to 1.8 is two stops, but i have no idea what that belief is rooted in! ChatGPT concurs, but it may be hallucinating.

I’m throwing out option #3..😂 If you are okay with manual focus this ai-s 85mm f/1.4 “f” mount is awesome! I put it on the Z9 w/FTZii so you could get a look-see. Heck of a lot cheaper and solid build…. Nimi may have worked with this lens also….

IMG_1719.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_1718.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m throwing out option #3..😂 If you are okay with manual focus this ai-s 85mm f/1.4 “f” mount is awesome! I put on the Z9 w/FTZii so you could get a look-see. Heck of a lot cheaper and solid build…. Nimi may have worked with this lens also….

View attachment 100056
View attachment 100057
View attachment 100059

I love that lens, now retired with the rest of my Ai-S lenses, including my 135/2. They don't resolve 45mp. I did cinemoded a bunch and I use them on my Sony FX3 cinema camera with great success (12mp sensor).

I love that lens, now retired with the rest of my Ai-S lenses, including my 135/2. They don't resolve 45mp. I did cinemoded a bunch and I use them on my Sony FX3 cinema camera with great success (12mp sensor).
Above my pay grade Nimi….. I don’t understand that the lens doesn’t resolve 45mp…. My as-i images with the 24, 50, 58 & 85mm’s look good to me.. What am I not seeing?

I keep that chart on my phone because sometimes I get confused. 😂
C’on J, you’ve never been confused. You always have the answers..😂. I just love working with the old simple glass that I used since the 60’s. I don’t make videos or large prints. I found some “intel” in DPREVIEWS on as-i lenses w/hi-res cameras. Pretty comfortable going forward using these as-i lenses (occasionally) for the images I want. I totally agree they are are tools, not jewels as Steve and Karen say… But I’m an older guy that enjoys tinkering with familiar gear….and occasionally pushing the envelope of expectation's to achieve more. I have the new Z glass also. And I use it. And yeah, it’s simply amazing. But I look at these 4 as-i lenses occasionally and think “can I make this work for ….(whatever)? Life is short…..🤩

Last edited:
This chart is confusing to me. According to it, f1.2 is both a half stop more than f1 and 2/3rds stop more than f/1.
One half stop slower than f/1 is f/1.19, which is rounded to f/1.2. Two thirds of a stop slower than f/1 is f/1.26, which by convention is rounded to f/1.2.

As an engineer this imprecision troubles me, but years ago I learned to accept it. 😊 In reality the difference between the two is so small it really doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
One half stop slower than f/1 is f/1.19, which is rounded to f/1.2. Two thirds of a stop slower than f/1 is f/1.26, which by convention is rounded to f/1.2.

As an engineer this imprecision troubles me, but years ago I learned to accept it. 😊 In reality the difference between the two is so small it really doesn’t matter.
Significant figures are also at play, as well as how much room they have to engrave or print the numbers on the lens barrel.

And, as you state, it really doesn't matter all that much, if at all.

Back