Nikon 18-35mm lens - sell or not to sell, that is the question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've a Nikon 18-35mm lens which I bought about 12 years ago to use when I went to Norway to photograph the aurora. It was used with my trusty D800 on which the lens was brilliant. I've now upgraded to a Z7ii. I've used the lens only once the Norway trip. Most of the time I tend to use my Z 24-120 f4. The question is "should I sell it?" What's brought it to mind is a review in the latest edition of N-Photo where the Viltrox AF f/2.8 20mm had a very good write-up. I can get about £200 on e-bay for the 18-35mm, the Viltrox will cost me about £125 so financially I'd be better off. However, Murphy's Law states that if I sell the 18-35mm I'll then need a wide-angle for something. I can't find a review comparing the two lens so I'd be interested to have your thoughts if, as far as image quality is concerned, buying the Viltrox would be a retrograde step. Before reading the article I'd never heard of the brand. I look forward to reading your comments. Thank you.

You say you are afraid you may need a wide angle if you sell it, and yet you say you have only used it once since your trip twelve years ago. I think twelve years is enough time to determine in fact you do NOT need it. Also if you replace it with a fixed, fast aperture 20mm (or similar focal length), then you still have a wide angle. This is the better option in my opinion for two reasons (assuming the Viltrox is Z mount). Using a native Z mount lens is preferable to using F mount with an adaptor. Also, fast aperture will be useful if you ever want to photograph night skies.

I am in the midst of a change for this exact reason. Right now my Z 14-30 f4 (along with another lens) is en route to MPB for sale. I am going to replace it with a Viltrox 16mm f1.8 for occasional Milky Way shots.

I’m in agreement with @MrFotoFool. Getting the Viltrox 20mm lens is a good trade off in exchange for the 18-35mm you’ve only used once in more than a decade.

I borrowed the Viltrox 20mm earlier this summer to use on a hike. I liked it very much. Good image quality at a very attractive price.

Last edited:
Back