Nikon 180-400 Update from Steve?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hey Steve!
I rewatched your video on this lens last night. I’m curious as it’s a couple of years now what are your thoughts? I know you have referenced in other videos being on the fence about buying it but you did and don’t use it a lot. And recently you referenced using it as the 500pf was a little tight on a recent shoot.

I’m going to rework my long lens selection next year and really elevate my big glass game. It’s my intention to buy a 600 f4 E and would like something shorter to compliment the 600. Currently I have a 300f2.8 that I’m selling soon and a 200-500 which I plan on keeping for my spouse to use or when it will be handy for me.

would it be better to buy the 500 pf and 300pf or just buy the 180-400? Don’t worry about the total cost. I can afford either path so I’m mostly concerned about the best path.

On a side note I’ve considered a used 400 2.8 G rather than the 180-400 or 300pf as I’d like to possibly shoot some high school football (it’s a big thing in TX) for a local paper. I know 2.8 is always better than f4 but with a D5 or D6 I wonder if the loss of one stop for a more versatile lens is a good compromise. Keep in mind wildlife is priority.
Thank you for your feedback!

Hello, I have the 180-400 Nikon lens and use it all the time in cooler weather. It is extremely versatile with the 1.4X built-in extender. The 1.4X extender is very easy to activate. The focus is fast and the VR improves hand-held shots. I sold my 200-400 and my 300PF and a few other items to help offset the cost. I also configured the gimbal for a monopod on this lens. Steve has a video on the monopod/gimbal setup. The lens is expensive but, to me, well worth the cost. (The Supreme Commander thinks it is my 200-400 as they look very similar.) Presently, it is tooo hot to hit the Glades for some shooting. I shoot the lens with a D5 and a D850. My friend tried it on his Z7 with the FTZ attachment and was impressed. I also like the use of internal filters the same as I have for my 600F4.0. All in all expensive but a dream to use. I know Nikon has the new 120-300 but it is not for me as I like the longer reach of the 180-400. When in the Glades for closer shots I carry my 70-200 F2.8 lens in a side holster bag.

Hello, I have the 180-400 Nikon lens and use it all the time in cooler weather. It is extremely versatile with the 1.4X built-in extender. The 1.4X extender is very easy to activate. The focus is fast and the VR improves hand-held shots. I sold my 200-400 and my 300PF and a few other items to help offset the cost. I also configured the gimbal for a monopod on this lens. Steve has a video on the monopod/gimbal setup. The lens is expensive but, to me, well worth the cost. (The Supreme Commander thinks it is my 200-400 as they look very similar.) Presently, it is tooo hot to hit the Glades for some shooting. I shoot the lens with a D5 and a D850. My friend tried it on his Z7 with the FTZ attachment and was impressed. I also like the use of internal filters the same as I have for my 600F4.0. All in all expensive but a dream to use. I know Nikon has the new 120-300 but it is not for me as I like the longer reach of the 180-400. When in the Glades for closer shots I carry my 70-200 F2.8 lens in a side holster bag.
Thank you for the feedback!

Thanks for your thoughts on the lens. I'm days from this lens arriving in my hands. Chose it over the 600 for the zoom capability as it'll be my first 'super telephoto' I thought the flexibility would be a good thing in my very inexperienced wildlife shooting hands.

Back