Nikon 180-600mm price increase? (USA)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Howdy all,

On another forum I just saw a user mention that the Nikon 180-600mm had gone up in price by $200 since they last checked. I assumed at first that they were just seeing a promotion price that ended and did a quick google to double check, but actually I think they're correct. As far as I know, this lens was priced at ~$1700 (USD) from release until recently. Looking at both Nikon's website and several retailers, it's now showing an MSRP of $1,896.95.

Camelx3 shows that the third party price on Amazon appears to have just changed today (despite the lens not even being in stock with Amazon sellers).
1722537753871.png

I know some companies will raise a price so they can then claim a larger discount when they start a sale, but I haven't known Nikon to do this. I also thought maybe Nikon is raising the price to try and improve the supply/demand situation, but the lens isn't as hard to find in stock as it used to be in the USA and it seems late to make that change. Maybe it's related to the Yen rising in value recently?

Curious what you all think. I did not see a thread on this topic yet, apologies if I missed one.

Prices change in relation to supply and demand, currency fluctuation, cost of raw materials, manufacturing, or distribution. Nikon, as with others in its industry, is opaque about such things.

In the USA, Nikon’s summer sale just ended. Price increases on some items wouldn’t be unusual.

Last edited:
Between inflation and currency changes, this is less surprising than I expected. Still, a price increase on it sucks for people who haven't gotten one yet.
It was listed in the Refurb section of the Nikon USA store last week. As I recall, it was priced in the mid $1500's or so. It's not available there now.

Not normal for Nikon to have a lens so new to have an increase like this.

Even when they had that increase on all their levels, the next lenses did not have an increase at that time

Back