nikon 200-500 F5.6 Teleconverter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My TC 1.4E III works on my 200-500mm/f5.6 - of course with the TC you lose 1 stop thus making the lens effectively f/8 - and AF lock may hunt more in low light.

It works and in good light it’s not too bad. It does slow the AF though and the 200-500 is no speed demon anyway. I use it when I have to but it’s not my favourite combo.

Will Nikons AF-S TC-14E III 1.4x tele converter work on my Nikkor 200-500mm F5.6 lens? Would like some results input. Tks
Yes, it will work, but with limitations. I use exactly this combination sometimes, but only for relatively stationary or slow moving subjects, and in good light. It does not function very well in low light conditions and/or for quick moving subjects, such as birds in flight. Also, you'll notice that AF slows with the TC mounted. Hope this helps.

It works OK. I sometimes use the TC14e with my D7500. I know that Nikon guarantees AF to work with the center AF point at F/8, but I've had success using the surrounding AF points in good light. AF does hunt quite a bit more so you may have to use the manual focus ring to help the AF find the subject. The optics seem to remain pretty sharp at close distances, even wide open at F/8, but it struggles to maintain focus on distant subjects such as raptors in flight. I've had some success though. Here are some examples:

F/9 @700mm:

CCT_6557-X3.jpg

CCT_6695-X3.jpg

F/9 550mm because I was too close:

CCT_9211-4K.jpg

I have regularly used the 200-500 with the TC14EIII and am very pleased with the results. I am shooting mostly larger birds in flight and all sizes stationary. No small BIF though. I need a bunch more work on that and will get tips from Steve's book. Going forward, I will likely use the 200-500 on a tripod with my D750 or Z6 with or without the TC and use my newer 500mm PF f/5.6 on my D850. The TC14EIII does well on the Z6 giving a bit more focus accuracy which helps.

Back