Nikon 300mm PF or Z 100-400mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,
now booked my first trip to Costa Rica staying mainly in the Osa and in San Gerardo de dota during mid December.
Currently have the Z8 and D850 which will both be going. Lens wise 500mm PF, 300mm PF and 105mm macro.
Now the question, would it really be worthwhile changing the 300mm PF to a Z 100-400mm lens. Yes I know it's heavier and bigger but would give me a better range and would allow some macro for snakes and other critters, what are your opinions or experiences. Just want to make the most of my time there.

I have photographed hummingbirds previously using the 500mm PF on the Z8 quite successfully.

Thanks

I'd say that comes down to whether you expect to need the zoom and your budget.

The 100-400mm Z lens is a great pseudo-macro lens with it's maximum magnification ratio of 0.38 but the 300mm PF is pretty good in that regard as well with a maximum magnification ratio of 0.24. Add a 1.4x F mount TC and the 300mm f/4 becomes a 420mm f/5.6 with a maximum reproduction ratio of approximately 0.34 which is pretty tight even for small amphibians and more than enough for snakes and similar sized subjects.

Personally I'd probably go with the lens I already owned and which works with both cameras but if you'll really miss the zoom capability or you have money burning a hole in your pocket the 100-400mm Z lens is a solid choice.

I'm leaning more to what I already have as they will work on both bodies. And I already have the TC1.4III.
Not had a zoom for a few years so don't miss it but I know 1 or 2 occasions it would of been handy. The 300pf is at least lighter.

I assume you are taking the 500. This gives you some flexibility, especially if you take an F mound 1.4x converter.

The 300 PF is compact and lightweight, but if like the UK, it is not worth a lot secondhand.
The 100-400 is as big and heavy as a 70–200 F 2 .8.

I owned a 300PF for less than a year (bought used in excellent condition). I used it with a D850. On its own it was okay but with 1.4x teleconverter it was soft to the point of being unuseable. I know the teleconverter (latest version iii) was good because I had been using it with F mount 70-200 f2.8E with outstanding results. However others seem to have better experience than I had. But based on my experience I would never use the 300PF again. Of course now that I have sold my D850s and only use a Z8, I would only use native Z lenses anyway. So I would vote for either the Z 100-400 or the Z 400 f4.5.

I owned a 300PF for less than a year (bought used in excellent condition). I used it with a D850. On its own it was okay but with 1.4x teleconverter it was soft to the point of being unuseable. I know the teleconverter (latest version iii) was good because I had been using it with F mount 70-200 f2.8E with outstanding results. However others seem to have better experience than I had. But based on my experience I would never use the 300PF again. Of course now that I have sold my D850s and only use a Z8, I would only use native Z lenses anyway. So I would vote for either the Z 100-400 or the Z 400 f4.5.

Looking at your refernece links I am sure that you had the AF fine adjustment done for the 300 naked as well as with TC.

As with any other lens you looese resolutionand contrast with a TC, but I am kind of amazed that it was so bad for you.

At the time I had the opportunity to play around with 5 or 6 copies of the TC14EII and III abd there was interesting effect.
When I tried them with "normal" lenses (one of which was my 500 f4 G) the difference in adjustment settings were pretty modest. The tolerances between the different TC's on the same lens was something like +/- 2 or 3. When I tried the same with my PF's (300 as well as 500) I got to values more in the range +/- 8, sometinmes even 10 and more.

Of course I am not an expert but in DSLR times I was really careful with the AF adjustment of my long lenses and to me it seemed like the PF lenses kind of magnify the differences of TC's or show kind of "allergic reaction" to some of them. I have no real explanation for this nor do I know whether this kind of effect would have been reproducable in a proper lab, but maybe this could also be an explanation for your experience. Obviously I just did the AF fine adjustment, but if a lens reacts this sesitively on different TC's I wouldn't be surprised if this has also other effects like - in your case - being soft despite of correct AF setting.

It seems like I have just been lucky with ma 300PF and its TC.

In terms of Z lenses I am with you and your vote. I have the 100-400 and its top notch from 100 to about 350 with its MFD bindg great for someone like me who misses his old AF 200mm f4 D macro, because it refused to work on the Z8. So for versatility I would even prefer the 100-400 although the 400 f4.5 is clearly better in terms of resolution at 400mm and can live with a TC, which isn't really the case for the 100-400.

When I went to CR I took my 500mm pf and 300mm pf for use on my D500 and D810. I had ext tubes for the 300mmf4 for macro applications like poison frogs. Since you have a Z8 and a D850, I would stick with the 500mm pf and 300mm pf and your 105mm macro. If you took the 100-400mm S Z mount you add weight and cost and the 100-400mm can be used only on one camera, the Z8. I have never had any image quality issues with my 300mm f4 pf. I consider it sharp enough to serve as a macro lens. I also love that it is light in weight. If weight and cost is not an issue, using the 100-400mm on your Z8 and the 500mm pf on your D850 can work well too. I use a 105mm F mount macro on my Z9 all the time with the FTZii adapter.

When I went to CR I took my 500mm pf and 300mm pf for use on my D500 and D810. I had ext tubes for the 300mmf4 for macro applications like poison frogs. Since you have a Z8 and a D850, I would stick with the 500mm pf and 300mm pf and your 105mm macro. If you took the 100-400mm S Z mount you add weight and cost and the 100-400mm can be used only on one camera, the Z8. I have never had any image quality issues with my 300mm f4 pf. I consider it sharp enough to serve as a macro lens. I also love that it is light in weight. If weight and cost is not an issue, using the 100-400mm on your Z8 and the 500mm pf on your D850 can work well too. I use a 105mm F mount macro on my Z9 all the time with the FTZii adapter.
Thanks, it's my thinking at the moment but having never been to CR, just want other opinions.
The Z 100-400mm isn't exactly expensive for me especially if I sell the 300pf but knowing what I normally shoot, wouldn't get much use at home.

If I didn't already have the 300PF and 500PF, that 400 f/4.5 would look very attractive. My experience has been that both the 300PF and 500PF take the TC14III very well, though the 500PF seems better. The 300PF has been, in my experience, more challenging to shoot because it is so lightweight, short, and the VR is not top shelf. When hand-holding, I find I need to support the lens via the lens hood, make sure my shutter speeds are plenty fast, and try to limit my breathing and roll my finger onto the shutter button. The 500PF is much more forgiving.

Here are some screenshots of the 300PF and 500PF with and without a TC-14III using a tripod and Z6II.
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBy7sp

Back