Nikon 35mm f/1.8G + FTZ II on a Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AlanDB

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm looking to add a "walk around" lens to my kit. I used to enjoy going to some of our town/cities here in New Hampshire (USA) with a 35mm attached - e.g., Fujifilm X-T2/3/4/5 w/ a 23mm or back in the day the Nikon D750 + 35mm f/1.8G. For me it's a fun exercise - trying to come up with compositions w/ the single focal length - and just want something easy to carry around. I know that the Nikon Z 35mm f/1.8S is an amazing lens, but a bit pricey for "fun" at $700US. For half that I could get (a really nice) used 35mm f/1.8G and new FTZ II. The combo is lighter (325g vs 370g) but a bit longer - (140mm vs 86mm).

Anybody have any experience w/ this combo?

I'm looking to add a "walk around" lens to my kit. I used to enjoy going to some of our town/cities here in New Hampshire (USA) with a 35mm attached - e.g., Fujifilm X-T2/3/4/5 w/ a 23mm or back in the day the Nikon D750 + 35mm f/1.8G. For me it's a fun exercise - trying to come up with compositions w/ the single focal length - and just want something easy to carry around. I know that the Nikon Z 35mm f/1.8S is an amazing lens, but a bit pricey for "fun" at $700US. For half that I could get (a really nice) used 35mm f/1.8G and new FTZ II. The combo is lighter (325g vs 370g) but a bit longer - (140mm vs 86mm).

Anybody have any experience w/ this combo?
If you can spring for it, the 1.4G version is very good.

My film setup was a 35mm Summicron on a Leica M2. My current setup is a 40mm f2 on my Z7ii. It sounds like you are looking for a lens for a Z camera but I'm not sure. If you are looking for a Z lens the Z40mm f2 is $280 or $220 refurbished from Nikon.

If you can spring for it, the 1.4G version is very go

My film setup was a 35mm Summicron on a Leica M2. My current setup is a 40mm f2 on my Z7ii. It sounds like you are looking for a lens for a Z camera but I'm not sure. If you are looking for a Z lens the Z40mm f2 is $280 or $220 refurbished from Nikon.
The 1.4G looks awfully pricey - and I hadn't thought about the Z40mm f/2. It's a little narrower (and ever so slightly "slower"), but it is a native Z mount - and very small/light/affordable. Hmm....

The 1.4G looks awfully pricey - and I hadn't thought about the Z40mm f/2. It's a little narrower (and ever so slightly "slower"), but it is a native Z mount - and very small/light/affordable. Hmm....
For candid photography it cuts the intimidation factor in half. The Summicron was f2 and I used it shooting Jazz musicians by available light. In many situations I don't want the depth of field too thin. I see a lot of photos where the subject falls out of focus too quickly. I got a 50mm for digital but my framing was too tight. I kind of know where my feet should be for a slightly wide lens. The 35mm Z lenses are Huge compared to the Summicron and Z40mm. Part of that is the Z sensors are One Inch Further Forward than the DSLRs pushing the lens forward. Unless you make huge enlargements you won't see the difference between the Z40mm and the Z35mm 1.8S lens.

Back