Nikon 400mm f/4.5 - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MatthewK

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Looks like we don't have one of these threads for the 400 4.5, so here it is! Share your photos, impressions and questions about this pint-sized super-telephoto!

My 400 4.5 arrived yesterday. This is actually my second go at owning this lens, one of the few times in my photographic (career? journey? experience?) where I've prematurely sold a lens, only to buy it again. Last year I paired it with the 800PF my wider angle, close up solution, but found that the gap between 400 and 800 had me constantly juggling lenses/TCs. Not only that, I was intended to replace my 500PF with the 400 4.5 + 1.4 TC, and disappointedly felt that the IQ was a big step down, so ended up selling the 400 and replacing with the 100-400 for better versatility; that lens eventually departed when the 180-600 came to market. I finally had the perfect compliment to the 800PF, but the problem is: this is a heavy load to lug around!

I've been loving the 600PF (and 500PF before it) lightweight renaissance, and have come close to selling everything else off and just living as a one-lens photographer: what has stopped me is my Fuji kit. There, I run two prime lenses that each have their distinct roles in my family/travel photography, and I absolutely love the experience. There's no stepping on toes, no analysis paralysis, each lens has its own look and compositional strengths, and most importantly they're small/light enough to bring anywhere. That's where I want to be with my birding setup: two LIGHTWEIGHT prime lenses, one for more environmental, wider-angle work (400 4.5), and the other for reach (600PF, with/without the 1.4TC). I probably won't bring them into the field together, as I often don't want to carry a backpack, so selection will be based on the look I want to go for that day, or if a certain bird requires a specific focal length.

I felt that last year I didn't give this lens a fair shake. I loved the IQ at 400mm, the diminutive size/weight, and some of my favorite photos from last year were taken with it (once graces the cover of my bird photo book I made!). Yet, I was quick to dismiss it not for what it was, but for what it wasn't, always a second fiddle to my other glass and not putting it to use for it's exceptional qualities. So, trying it out yet again with a fresh perspective going forward.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240509_431-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NIKON Z 8untitled_20240509_103-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

American Redstart by M K, on Flickr
Yellow Warbler by M K, on Flickr

Owned the 400/4.5 the second time I bought a Z9. Recently borrowed my friend's Z8 and 400/4.5 to test the latest FW. Here are some photos I got during those two experiences...
DSC_8880-Enhanced-NR.jpg
NZ9_6539-Edit.jpg
DSC_9484-Enhanced-NR.jpg
NZ9_4496-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_8693-Enhanced-NR.jpg
NZ9_3363-Enhanced-NR.jpg
NZ9_3094-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC_9592-Enhanced-NR.jpg

The 400mm 4.5 is currently my favorite long lens. I don't shoot a lot of birds, but here are some from this morning with the 400mm.

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0788.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_1122.jpg

This lens sent my beloved 500PF into retirement. I love it both native and with 1.4x TC.

1)
Z8A_5972_DxO-Edit.jpg

2)
Z8A_4864_DPS.jpg

3)
_NZ97621_D+.jpg

4)
_NZ97179_D+.jpg

This lens sent my beloved 500PF into retirement. I love it both native and with 1.4x TC.

1)
View attachment 90036

2)
View attachment 90037

3)
View attachment 90038

4)
View attachment 90039
Amazing shots! I especially like #4. The light behind its wings is gorgeous. But beyond the beauty of the photos is the stories they tell, I feel like I'm there. #2 makes me want to back up...
It's work like this that makes me want to get out there, very inspiring!
Thanks for sharing

I have the 400mm f/4.5 which works great for what I tend to shoot (large to medium sized critters like bears, mountain goats, etc.). I put the TC on when I want to shoot smaller subjects like marmots and pikas.

I would love to get a 600mm f/6.3 but it seems hard to justify when the 400mm + TC1.4 works so well. Curious if others have traded up from a 400 to a 600 or vice versa or keep both?

I have the 400mm f/4.5 which works great for what I tend to shoot (large to medium sized critters like bears, mountain goats, etc.). I put the TC on when I want to shoot smaller subjects like marmots and pikas.

I would love to get a 600mm f/6.3 but it seems hard to justify when the 400mm + TC1.4 works so well. Curious if others have traded up from a 400 to a 600 or vice versa or keep both?
I have both lenses now. The 400 4.5 will be used strictly as a 400mm lens alongside the 600PF, when I need wider angle, closer MFD, and/or lower light performance. Both make for a super light kit that fits in a small backpack for travel. My take is that since you use the lens most as a 400mm, and you're happy with the 400 + 1.4 performance, not much reason to get the 600PF.

Wow, it's been a while since anyone posted in here. Wondering if a lot of people have moved on from the 400 since the 180-600 and 600PF have become more prevalent.

With Fall migration in effect, getting some use out of the 400 4.5 since, well, Spring Migration :cautious:
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240913_86-Enhanced-NR.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20240913_63-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

Back