Nikon 500mm f/4G vs 500mm f/4 FL question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have been saving for my first super telephoto prime and after a lot of research and comparing....decided that a used Nikon 500mm f/4G VR was the best option for my budget.

However, I’ve had a couple folks mention that they would hesitate to buy a lens of that age because of lack of parts, should it need to have any service or repair work done. My question is this....since the 500mm f/4G VR is an AF-S model, does it not have the same AF motor as the newer FL models? (which are also AF-S). Are there any real worries about not being able to get service work done on this lens over the next 5-10 years?

I guess I just want to be sure I make the right decision before I pull the trigger on something. My budget is going to be around $4k and that’s it.

I have been saving for my first super telephoto prime and after a lot of research and comparing....decided that a used Nikon 500mm f/4G VR was the best option for my budget.

However, I’ve had a couple folks mention that they would hesitate to buy a lens of that age because of lack of parts, should it need to have any service or repair work done. My question is this....since the 500mm f/4G VR is an AF-S model, does it not have the same AF motor as the newer FL models? (which are also AF-S). Are there any real worries about not being able to get service work done on this lens over the next 5-10 years?

I guess I just want to be sure I make the right decision before I pull the trigger on something. My budget is going to be around $4k and that’s it.
The G series lenses aren't all that old by Nikon standards and I personally wouldn't worry about it. I shoot with the 600mm f/4 G series lens and first internal problems with these top of the line lenses are pretty rare if you don't drop it or submerge it but Nikon does a pretty good job of servicing lenses much older than the G series.

Sure if I had an extra five or six thousand dollars sitting around so that I could sell my G lens and buy the E lens I might do it for the lighter weight and shorter minimum focusing distance and overall ergonomics of the newer lens but I have zero complaints in terms of the performance of the 600mm f/4 G lens.

I appreciate the input. I actually just made a purchase! Someone contacted me via private message on another forum last week that was selling their 500mm F/4G in like new condition and I couldn't pass it up. I am excited to finally own my very first super tele prime....and can't wait to see what it can do. Upon first inspection, the lens seems to be built like a tank....and absolutely blows away anything I've had my hands on before.

Hopefully the cooler weather coming up will allow me to get some epic wildlife shots!

Back