Nikon 500mm Pf lens VR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When the 500mm PF lens is used on D500 camera the VR only activates when the shutter is half pressed to focus. On my Z8 it seems to stay on any time the camera is turned on. Is this normal? Is there a setting to change so the VR only activates when focussing? Does this significantly affect battery life?

As far as the D500 (or any DSLR body), yes this is normal. As for the Z8 (or other mirrorless bodies), I think the only way to change it would be to turn off in-body stabilization, and I cannot imagine anyone would want to do that. My advice is just carry a spare battery and don't worry about it.

I also notice this change from DSLR (D500) to mirrorless (Z50, Z6, Z8)
Unfortunately I don't see that I can change it on Z8, the VR icon is greyed in the i menu and change from Off to On via the lens switch.

When the 500mm PF lens is used on D500 camera the VR only activates when the shutter is half pressed to focus. On my Z8 it seems to stay on any time the camera is turned on. Is this normal? Is there a setting to change so the VR only activates when focussing? Does this significantly affect battery life?
If you turn it off using the switch on the lens during times of inactivity, would that work for you?

There is a video on Steve's channel that is about how VR is affecting battery life.
As far as I remember, it's not a big deal.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change that behaviour on the Z8 / Z9.
The only workaround I know is to set the standby timer to 10 or 20 seconds or so. In standby, VR is off.

Back