Nikon 500pf replacement foot and hood

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll need a replacement foot and hood for a used 500pf that arrived this week. I'm new here, so apologies if there's an obvious answer for this.

As an aside, I was surprised that it came without these. They're both shown in the photo on MPB, and their listings say the photo is of the exact gear you receive. Fortunately foresight was taken and a screenshot was snapped of the listing, so I'll reach out to them for a rebate.

Thanks in advance.

I'll need a replacement foot and hood for a used 500pf that arrived this week. I'm new here, so apologies if there's an obvious answer for this.

As an aside, I was surprised that it came without these. They're both shown in the photo on MPB, and their listings say the photo is of the exact gear you receive. Fortunately foresight was taken and a screenshot was snapped of the listing, so I'll reach out to them for a rebate.

Thanks in advance.
Hmm, yep they should have come with the lens. No apologies necessary, there are various choices. For my 500mm PF, I bought the Hejnar foot, I believe it was this one:

Others like different brands. I have used the hood that came with the lens but did buy a replacement hood for my 800mm PF from Zemlin. Like their quality though probably can get cheaper ones? Actually looks like the Nikon one can be bought from BH and is "only" $55, so probably just buy that one?

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new (to you) 500mm PF lens, my all time favorite lens.

Last edited:
I have the Wimberley AP-500 and the AP-501 on my 500PF and 100-400 S. I am more than satisfied with both (they are essentially the same). People got weird when they saw the roll pin that Wimberley suggests you use on the AP-500 (it’s not used on the AP-501) but there are no problems associated with it’s use and I’ve seen many posts about people not using it with no adverse effects. They are relatively inexpensive and rock solid and flawlessly finished. They also totally eliminate the chances of accidentally releasing the foot and dropping the lens which is the gigantic flaw in the OEM design. Oh yeah, they are also MADE IN THE USA!! Enjoy the new lens.

I bought the Pro Media Gear foot and it's been flawless...
I bought the ProMediaGear foot, too. One thing that turned me off about a number of alternatives is that they can be removed easily by flicking a lever that is right where your hand holds the foot when carrying the lens (which was the original problem in addition to the lack of AS compatibility with the OEM foot.) The ProMediaGear foot attaches by being screwed on with a hex wrench to the lens collar. To remove it, you need to use a hex wrench, too. I'm not really clear on why people would want to easily attach and remove the foot, but if that's something you do, the ProMediaGear foot is probably not your best option. The foot itself is long enough to be a good handle for carrying the lens, a fact that is not universally shared by replacement feet. FWIW

Thanks in advance.
I use the Hejnar foot. It’s excellent and is Locke in place with a hex screw.

I use the Hejnar foot. It’s excellent and is Locke in place with a hex screw.

This is also what I use, and really like it. I plan on adding a QD attachment and I think the hejnar foot will accommodate this. Others may have done it already.
Welcome and enjoy your new lens!

Welcome to the forum! I can also recommend the Hejnar replacement. They have a couple of options depending on what body you are using. They have a specific model for the 500PF with a Z9. They moved the balance point to accommodate the FTZ so that using the QD connector it balances really well on a strap.

I can also highly recommend the Zemlin hood. I have one on my Z600PF and love it.

I have the Kirk foot (which also fits the 70-200 FL) and the OEM hood. Didn’t have hood issues that would encourage me to swap to something else. It’s a hollow tube that shades the front element, they don’t have to be very technical. Function over form or brand.

If these were shown in the photo on MPB, then you most certainly should have gotten them. I would really give them a strongly worded email about this. Not acceptable!

If these were shown in the photo on MPB, then you most certainly should have gotten them. I would really give them a strongly worded email about this. Not acceptable!

Thanks Woody.

I wrapped up with their customer support today, and they aren't honoring it. They received a strongly-worded email.

I'll be posting a warning here and elsewhere when I find some time. I've ordered three items from them, and two have been fumbled.

I'm curious if the Hejnar foot was included in the "What's included" drop down menu for the item? I noticed that the standard Nikon foot (nearly useless, not arca-swiss) is listed in the drop down for the others they have listed.

I will say I'm disappointed they didn't address the issue. They prominently say that the photos are of the exact item you will receive: " We always photograph each unique item, so this is the exact product you'll receive." This has been reassuring to me. I felt I knew what I'd be getting. So I would have been disappointed just like you were.
Enjoy your lens and good luck.

They prominently say that the photos are of the exact item you will receive: " We always photograph each unique item, so this is the exact product you'll receive." This has been reassuring to me. I felt I knew what I'd be getting.

Thanks for the solace. Alan.

In regards to that quote about it being the exact item you'll receive and to quote the Maury Povich meme, "The lie detector determined...that was a lie."

I use the RRS foot but that's because it came with the lens from the orig. owner. I like it, and I also like Hejnar's stuff a lot...and his pricing! The only thing I really use the foot for is carrying the lens...don't think I've ever needed to put it on a tripod, as I'm usually in a kayak but also because the VR is so dang good! Have fun...it's one of my favorite non-macro lenses as well!

I have the Hejnar foot as well for my 500 PF, and I use it often with a BlackRapid Sport shoulder strap that has a QD connector for the attachment point (which I'm not sure they sell anymore, because I recently searched for it online and came up empty).

The 500 with the Hejnar lens foot used on either my Z8 or Z9 balances nicely on all of my gimbal heads (MH-100, PMG GT2 Tomahawk and PMG GKJr Katana Pro). When used with the BR shoulder strap, this combo balances nicely on my side at hip level.

I did purchase an OEM replacement lens hood for the 500 PF about a year ago. I think I bought it from B&H.

Last edited:
ProMedia Gear Feet on my 500PF. Very happy and agree with previous, I want it bolted on. I am not swapping lens to lens
MPB def has the best prices but I have avoided them due to some bad reviews.

Back