If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JDG Photo

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I wanted to shorten the minimum focus distance for the lens to photograph some easily spooked critters. It worked well.
Green Lynx Spider for blog 13Sep2021 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Hummingbird-1 for blog 13Sep2021 copy.jpg
Gulf Fritillary for blog 13Sep2021 copy.jpg
Hummingbird-2 for blog 13Sep2021 copy.jpg
Pearl Crescent for blog 13Sep2021 copy.jpg

Beautiful shots. I have played with this game with my D850 and 500 PF. I like the results and intend to keep using the combo.

A little calculator here to help estimate closest focus distance with extension tubes. That lens has .18x native magnification so it should make about 1.5 feet difference. When lenses focus internally this calculator will not be perfect, but a good estimate.

The focus distance is 9.8 feet without the extension tube, so to get to 8.5 serms right. I guess you have to judge what the benefit of the extension tube is.

Fabulous results - I need to try that on the 300pf - it's already great upclose but it would probably enable near macro capabilities.
The 300pf already has .24x magnification. A 20mm tube gives less than a foot closer and gets you up from .24x up to about .31x. Tubes on long focal length lenses don't increase the macro capabilities very much.

Last edited: