Nikon 50mm f1.8g + FTZii adaptor v Nikon Z 50mm f1.8 S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've got the opportunity to acquire a mint-condition F-mount 50mm f1.8g at a very good price which I could use in conjunction with an FTZii adaptor on my Z7ii. However, I'm wondering whether long-term I'd be better off waiting until I can afford a Z-mount 50mm f1.8 S. The question really I suppose is " would the improvement in image quality etc be worth the significant extra cost of the Z-mount lens?" I mainly plan to use the lens for low-light photography at night. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar situation and, if so, how they resolved it. Thank you in advance.

If you are not planning to do astrophotography, how good do you need the lens to be? It is quite possible that the much cheaper F-mount might do what you need. It is good in its own right. In my case, my lack of ability is more important than the quality of the 50mm lens! Also, it was never a very expensive lens. It might be worth trying the F-mount and seeing how it goes.
I

Back