Nikon 600 TC with internal 1.4 AND external 1.4 TC ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello.
Has anyone tested the 600 TC with both, internal and external 1.4 converters engaged?
How good is it?
I am thinking about replacing my 800 PF with the 600TC, because I am intrigued by the idea of having two lenses on one.
However, I would like to have the option of having a 1120 or 1200 mm lens.

Yes, I have owned and tested it. It is more than acceptable for me. I even find 600TC + 2x + 1.4x to be acceptable at 1680mm.

When it comes to IQ, I find both the 400TC/600TC strictly superior to the 800PF at all focal lengths and apertures.

The 800PF can match (or beat) these lenses in terms of raw sharpness on close subjects, but it is more difficult to get consistent results and the TC lenses will be much better at further subject distances.

For both TC lenses - regarding 1.4x + 1.4x vs 2x, I find that unless you have the images right next to each other on the same screen, you'd never reliably be able to tell the difference. You'll never be out in the field with 600TC + 1.4x + 1.4x going "dang I wish I had used the 2x!", unless that reason was that you wanted 1680mm instead of 1176mm.

Back