Nikon 600mm PF 6.3 lens, foot mount (mount base) coming loose

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just a heads up. I have a Nikon 600mm 6.3. I noticed a bit of play where my foot (Hejnar replacement foot) connects to the lens. I tried tightening the foot and it didn't work so I looked more closely and noticed it was actually the four screws holding the mount on the lens coming loose. Two were backing right out and two just needed a half turn. Apparently they don't use locktite on these screws!

FWIW, I use a drop of BLUE locktite on threaded screws like those described. My older Nikon lenses like my older 600mm f/4 G and 200-400mm G lens definitely used blue locktite (or similar blue thread locker) as well as it was obvious when I swapped the stock feet for low profile feet. I don't know what they're shipping today but if in doubt I'll add a drop (just a drop) of blue loctite to those small machine screws holding lens feet to the body but definitely not red loctite or the screws will likely never come out again.

FWIW, I use a drop of BLUE locktite on threaded screws like those described. My older Nikon lenses like my older 600mm f/4 G and 200-400mm G lens definitely used blue locktite (or similar blue thread locker) as well as it was obvious when I swapped the stock feet for low profile feet. I don't know what they're shipping today but if in doubt I'll add a drop (just a drop) of blue loctite to those small machine screws holding lens feet to the body but definitely not red loctite or the screws will likely never come out again.
Thanks. Yes you want to be able to get the screws out later. We always used a bit of nail polish (pick your fav colour) in a pinch but I won't recommend this over locktite. That said never had an issue with getting even small screws out later with the nail polish.

Just a heads up. I have a Nikon 600mm 6.3. I noticed a bit of play where my foot (Hejnar replacement foot) connects to the lens. I tried tightening the foot and it didn't work so I looked more closely and noticed it was actually the four screws holding the mount on the lens coming loose. Two were backing right out and two just needed a half turn. Apparently they don't use locktite on these screws!
Your original text was somewhat confusing/ambiguous. You are talking about the mount portion of the lens where it attaches to the camera, correct? Not where the lens foot mounts to the base of the camera lens.

FWIW, I replaced the foot on a new 800PF and two of the four factory screws were loose. One was so loose it came out completely after a quarter turn, the second required 1-2 turns. The other two were tightly cinched. All four screws had some sort of white thread lock on them.

Back