Nikon 70-200 f2.8 Lens collar

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Folks, not sure if I can post here or not but this is my problem:

The screw that tightens the collar on the lens no longer does its job which means the when on a tripod the lens wont lock in the reqd position & when hand held the collar flops around the place.

Any advice on how to deal with it, Ive tried Nikon & they say that they dont have a replacement bolt/stud.

Regards

Noel

Maybe an engineering company would be able to do something. If the thread in the collar has worn and the bolt won't tighten, in the car world there are things called Hellicoils where the threaded hole is drilled out and a new thread is inserted. No idea if this is possible or affordable, but you can also buy third party lens collars quite cheaply.

I guess the solution depends on which version of the lens you have. In the latest F mount FL version, the tripod ring is permanently attached to the lens, only the foot is removable. In this case a helicoil, if you can get one in that size, might be an option otherwise it’s probably off to Nikon for disassembly and repair.

Last edited:
I guess the solution depends on which version of the lens you have. In the latest F mount FL version, the tripod ring is permanently attached to the lens, only the foot is removable. In this case a helicopter, if you can get one in that size, might be an option otherwise it’s probably off to Nikon for disassembly and repair.

Ouch! Next they will be permanently attaching a camera...........

Thanks for replies, see attached pic of lens & the faulty screw is on top
70-200.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back