Nikon 800mm PF dimensions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Does anyone know the diameter of the 800 PF with the lens cap reversed on the lens? Nikon says 5.6 inches nut doesn't specify if that is with the lens cap. I am assuming it is without. Thanks for the help.

16.51 cm (or thereabouts) at the widest point with the hood reversed. The lens doesn't come with a traditional, plastic cap, but a soft lens hood which protects the front element along with the plastic lens hood. Sorry I don't know the dimensions with the soft hood on.

16.51 cm (or thereabouts) at the widest point with the hood reversed. The lens doesn't come with a traditional, plastic cap, but a soft lens hood which protects the front element along with the plastic lens hood. Sorry I don't know the dimensions with the soft hood on.
Thank you. That helps. I'm renting one for an upcoming trip and trying to reset the interior of my Pelican 1535 to accommodate it. Have a great day!

I have a strong recommendation to add a Zemlin lens cap to the 800 pf if you are going to store it in a bag other than the bag that comes wit the lens. With the lens hood reversed the front lens element is especially vulnerable. The Zemlin cap gave me confidence and I would not hesitate to store it in a backpack with the lens hood reversed.

The safest way to transport his lens is in its original protective case. That case has a rigid protective bottom and, combined with the soft lens hood, provides the best protection. It can be transported in a third party backpack but I would suggest taking care that a lot of weight does not fall directly on the front lens element.

I have a strong recommendation to add a Zemlin lens cap to the 800 pf if you are going to store it in a bag other than the bag that comes wit the lens. With the lens hood reversed the front lens element is especially vulnerable. The Zemlin cap gave me confidence and I would not hesitate to store it in a backpack with the lens hood reversed.

The safest way to transport his lens is in its original protective case. That case has a rigid protective bottom and, combined with the soft lens hood, provides the best protection. It can be transported in a third party backpack but I would suggest taking care that a lot of weight does not fall directly on the front lens element.
Thanks, I am aware of all that, but since I don't own the lens and am only renting it for a trip (see above), there wouldn't be a reason to buy the Zemlin hood. It won't come in its original case either, but a second pelican which I won't be checking into the airplane hold. So none of that really works for me.

That all makes sense to me.

My only other advice is to be careful with the lens hood reversed. I am assuming they provide the soft lens cover. Use that or else provide soft padding around the front element to protect it.

Hope you are going someplace interesting. I think you will be happy with the 800mm pf. It is a great lens, one of my favorites./

That all makes sense to me.

My only other advice is to be careful with the lens hood reversed. I am assuming they provide the soft lens cover. Use that or else provide soft padding around the front element to protect it.

Hope you are going someplace interesting. I think you will be happy with the 800mm pf. It is a great lens, one of my favorites./
It is a fantastic lens. I rented it for last years Whitetail rut and was super happy with the images. I'm hoping to buy it next year, once I have saved the cash for it. Here is something from last November:

WHitetail Portrait.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Just measured mine. 6 15/16" diameter. Slightly compressible to less than that -- about 6 ¾". I have Zemlin 2- piece hood, which comes apart and fits easily in suitcase with the two parts nested. Then the diameter at the objective end of the 800, with the Zemlin lens cap in place, is 5 3/4"

Just measured mine. 6 15/16" diameter. Slightly compressible to less than that -- about 6 ¾". I have Zemlin 2- piece hood, which comes apart and fits easily in suitcase with the two parts nested. Then the diameter at the objective end of the 800, with the Zemlin lens cap in place, is 5 3/4"
More: the largest diameter of the 2-piece Zemlin hood is 6 ⅞". I can attach mine (reversed) and stow the lens in a Gura Gear Kiboko 2.0 30L +

Back