Nikon 800mm PF f6.3 lens and VR indication

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

- There is a small hand icon on the left bottom side of the viewfinder with with SPT or ON depending on your current setting. If Vr is OFF there would be no icon. See #39 in the attached pic.

-A quick way to change VR modes through the “i” menu: once you navigate to and highlight the Vr box in the i menu , than just use the command dial to toggle between modes . Once you toggle to your preferred mode no other action needs to be done, there even no need to press the i button to set it - the command dial toggle is enough! So a half press on the shutter for example and you out of the i menu, with your preferred vr choice.

- Like what @Alistair said- if you’re handholding a 800mm you will notice immediately if vr is actually working when looking through the viewfinder: without it you’ll see how the view is shaking all over.

P.S. - for me using the “i” menu to change Vr mode is much easier than to fiddle with a physical switch among other switches near the lens mount, especially when using big tele lens .

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpeg
    IMG_5656.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Assuming you are hand holding, just look through the viewfinder. It is very obvious. Also, sport mode does not re-centre so the mode is also rather obvious.
Have you done any testing to determine whether sport is superior to the regular mode for BIF/WL? Apart from the lack of recentering, sport mode seems to perform better on my 180-600 than the regular VR.

Have you done any testing to determine whether sport is superior to the regular mode for BIF/WL? Apart from the lack of recentering, sport mode seems to perform better on my 180-600 than the regular VR.
Normal is (in absolute terms) better at correcting for lens movement but can induce other issues. YMMV on what works best for you.

it is also my understanding that sport works better for stills.

But be aware that VR does not solve all sharpness issues. When shooting at 800mm there is a lot of potential motion that VR does not protect against. Small motions such as from blinking or shifting eyes or position can affect sharpness despite VR. Steve Perry has some excellent articles and videos with advice on getting sharp images with long lenses.

Back