Nikon AFP 70-300 f6.3 VR question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
I currently have a Nikon AFS 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR and I was thinking of selling that and getting a Nikon AFP f/4-6.3 VR. Just wondering how the image quality is between the 2 lenses.

My main reasons for switching lenses are:
1) Faster focus
2) Lighter walk around lens

I’m shooting on a Nikon D500.
Thank you

I would recommend the FX version of the AF-P. Reputable reviewers have preferred it to the DX version. I picked up a copy last year to replace a 70-300 VR that I used for years. I have enjoyed using it with my D750. I can't say the same for my D500, but that body has been giving me fits since I bought it.

--Ken

Last edited:
I've got both, the AF-P DX and the FX. Both are quite a lot better than the old AF-S FX lens on modern bodies. I use them on D7100 and D7500 bodies, and on these bodies the AF-S is bit weak. The AF-S was OK on the 12 megapixel bodies like the D300.

Optically I don't see much difference between the two lenses. However, the FX has got a a switch for VR, and it's *a bit* faster than the DX. I's quite a bit heavier though. Still, the 70-300 FX is my walk-around lens nowadays - I'm not a wideangle guy at all.

I have owned both lenses, (y)and used the Af-S FX lenses on all of my DX bodies...D 50, D 90, and D 7100. The AF-S 4-5 -5.6 is a marvelous lens, and I love the crop factor. I've never had a problem with focus speed, or anything else. I bought the AF-P 4.5-5.6 VR lens (that would be the FX lens) after about 10 years of using the older one...critters, air shows, race tracks, people and what have you. I have found the newer lens to be slightly, but noticeably sharper throughout the zoom range, and the 4 1/2 stop VR to be an advantage over the AF-S's ~2 1/2 stops. At 81, I need all the help I can get!:) If someone is on a budget, there are good AF-S 4.5-5.6 FX VR lenses on the used market for reasonable prices. There are other versions of the lens...Non-VR, and for the latest ones, 4.5-6.3, also without VR,(?) which are lighter, but said to be lesser lenses. Personally, I have avoided them. YMMV. Recently, with the Covid inconvenience, I got the urge to do something photographic! I got my lenses out of the bag and said ; "All right, you guys, we're gonna do some sharpness tests!":geek: "O. K.! Knock off the NOT AGAIN!" NO, 50mm f1.8, you cannot be excused! No star charts, Air Force or other paper tests! We have a set of brightly-colored curtains in the "office", with large flowers. Soooo..with my 70-300 AF-P...wide open throughout the zoom range...I backed off to what I figured would be a reasonable using distance. Looking at the 100% blow-up on my camera screen, I could count the threads in the fabric! Scientific? NO, but good enough for any of my purposes!

Last edited:
When I had my D7100 I used the the AF-S version. It was a good lens. It was sharp and had good color rendition with reasonable VR. I then picked up a D7500 and one of the first lenses I purchased to go with it was the new 70-300 AF-P FX. On this camera, with the AF-P lens, photos have better sharpness across the frame than the AF-S version. It‘s quieter and seems to lock on to focus quicker than the older version. That plus the fact that I won’t have to buy a new version when I go to a D780 later this year were the main reasons I went to the new AF-P lens.

This thread had been helpful for me as I'm looking to replace my 18-140 with a different zoom for my D7500. The AP-S 70-300 ED VR FX is at the top of my list followed by a used AP-S 70-200 f/4.

It's good tho hear that people are experiencing great IQ with this lens on the D7500. It doesn't hurt that it's about half the price of a used 70-200 f/4.

I use the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR with a D500. It’s the FX version. Been using it for about a year. Takes excellent photos. Many of the birds posted here were taken with this lens until I purchased my 500 PF in June.

Back