nikon announcement tomorrow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
According to Nikon Rumors Nikon is making either a new firmware or new product announcement tomorrow..

Can anyone guess what it is?

My guess is either a Z9 firmware update or a new Z6iii. Possibly both.

Z 6 upgrade. Rumored a second body - if Z 7iii and still 45 mp, then overlap w/ Z 8. Perhaps a 60 MP body or high DX body?

I looked through the z9 firmware update and it seems to me it was primarily aimed at the Olympics, a lot of improvements that benefit specifically sports photographers. I also saw a lot of improvements in portraiture, there is a lot of that going on at the Olympics as well.

There is still speculation about a new camera and I still suspect something is going to happen soon.

I think this increases the possibility that they might also come out with a Z9h camera option. A super fast Z9 with a lower megapixel count may be a sports photographer's dream camera.

Just speculation on my part I definitely do not have inside information.

I think this increases the possibility that they might also come out with a Z9h camera option. A super fast Z9 with a lower megapixel count may be a sports photographer's dream camera.

Just speculation on my part I definitely do not have inside information.
If this is true, why add the new capabilities aimed at sports photographers to the Z9? I do expect a 24 mp camera announced this year, with specs similar to the Zf but in a traditional mirrorless body. For marketing reasons, I doubt it will have any Z9 nomenclature at all. Will it be available in time for the Olympics? Possibly, but in limited amount.

This is uninformed speculation on my part. Time will tell.

i'm not sure i feel the fw indicates either way. even if they have a new camera they'll still want the existing z9 cameras to perform as well as possible since they will likely be the most prevalent nikon body present
In two Nikon videos about FW 5.00 sports photography was mentioned and seemed prominent to me. Again, just speculation on my part.

The Z9 with firmware 5.0 is pretty amazing right now. I do think there are some hardware limitations with a 46 megapixel image, so the idea of a 24 megapixel camera makes sense. Whether that is a flagship level to directly compete with the A9iii, or a Standard resolution camera for events, weddings, etc. that has other advanced capabilities and high speed performance. The smaller 24 megapixel file provides a lot of flexibility to increase speed without major rework or new engineering. High speed RAW would be much easier without any compromises.

The Z9 with firmware 5.0 is pretty amazing right now. I do think there are some hardware limitations with a 46 megapixel image, so the idea of a 24 megapixel camera makes sense. Whether that is a flagship level to directly compete with the A9iii, or a Standard resolution camera for events, weddings, etc. that has other advanced capabilities and high speed performance. The smaller 24 megapixel file provides a lot of flexibility to increase speed without major rework or new engineering. High speed RAW would be much easier without any compromises.
I can imagine Raw precapture on a 24 mp camera but it would have to have an Expeed 7 (or later) processor.

Back