Nikon battery grip for Z8 camera NB N12 - who designed this piece of garbage?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RickW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have had grips on all of my Nikon DSLR’s that didn’t have one built in. I’m a sports shooter and the controls to shoot in vertical orientation is a must for me.

When I switched to the Z 8, of course I ordered one. What a pain in the a** to operate.

First, different from all other screw on Nikon grips, this one is L shaped with a long arm that extends up from the actual grip making it awkward and difficult to carry. Other Nikon grips fit in a large pocket. Not this one.
Second - the top of this vertical arm contains electronic contact points and the small included plastic protector has no place to store it when the grip is mounted. Guaranteed to be lost within a week of use leaving contacts exposed
Third, and most egregious, the battery slot cover could not have been designed by a working photog. It falls off every other time you open it and reattaching it is just too difficult. Took me more than 1 hour to figure out how to reattach it. The instructions are a joke. And, on top of that, the construction of the overly complicated cheap plastic battery cap makes the notoriously flimsy Nikon memory card door covers look like rock solid masterpieces. It is flimsy and badly designed and I fully expect the tiny plastic pins to sheer off after trying to reattach it a dozen times or so. A broken part waiting to happen.

This grip is poorly designed, contains a shockingly flimsy necessary part just waiting to fail. The one axis design is easier to use and the batteries are accessed by a turn a robust screw.

I agree that the add-on grip for the Z8 could have been designed a lot better. I know that I'm not going to get one for my Z8.

If having controls to shoot in vertical orientation is a must for you, then you should probably get the Z9!

Last edited:
I agree that the add-on grip for the Z8 could have been designed a lot better. I know that I'm not going to get one for my Z8.

If having controls to shoot in vertical orientation is a must for you, then you probably should get the Z9!
That thought definitely crossed my mind. The reason I got the 8 was for the ability to have smaller body for times when vertical controls not necessary. The 8’s grip works, but I have no doubt that cover is going to break.

Back