Nikon, better subject detection, please!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ajrmd

Since switching to Nikon from Canon a little over a year ago, I have been managing with the rudimentary subject detection of the Z8 series. Yes, FW 2.0 improved things dramatically, though Nikon is still way behind compared to Sony/Canon. Apart from my frustrations over the Z8 inexplicably loosing AF capture as osprey/eagles move through their strikes (the af point still indicates that it is on the bird though it just loses af for a few frames through the catch), its subject recognition just isn't as good. Yesterday, I was shooting some goldfinches nibbling on echinacea plants from around 20 ft away and had to use single point AF all of the time. Single point is not ideal for quick moving subjects and all of the other focus modes I employed grabbed the cones instead. My old R5, handles this subject/situation with aplomb. Time for new and better recognition algorithms.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 113532.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
A Goldfinch0000.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

How nikon does it seems to really be enhanced by the image being bright in the viewfinder. Somehow the dual stream technology splits the output going from the sensor to the viewfinder and uses that to focus. So what people seem to report is to get the image brighter to improve the focus. I shoot canon so have no experience with it. Canon uses the dual pixel af, where two halves of each pixel are compared, or with the R1, quad pixel in some cases, making it cross-type AF.

How nikon does it seems to really be enhanced by the image being bright in the viewfinder. Somehow the dual stream technology splits the output going from the sensor to the viewfinder and uses that to focus. So what people seem to report is to get the image brighter to improve the focus. I shoot canon so have no experience with it. Canon uses the dual pixel af, where two halves of each pixel are compared, or with the R1, quad pixel in some cases, making it cross-type AF.
Rather than AF accuracy, I’m referring to subject detection and tracking. Yes, this particular image is slightly underexposed though even bumping up the exposure in real time made no difference in af subject detection. Had to use single point all of the time.

Last edited:
It seems z8 and z9 users rave about their camera's abilities. Be interesting to see if others come forward with issues. Is it possibly a grass is greener sort of thing?

Rather than AF accuracy, I’m referring to subject detection and tracking. Yes, this particular image is slightly underexposed though even bumping up the exposure in real time made no difference in af subject detection. Had to use single point all of the time.
So your techbique is good enough to not need subject detection? Good on you? 😉

I use to shoot with the R5/R3 + series of RF L series glass, and now I currently shoot the Z9/Z8 with my 400TC, 600TC etc. and I am trying out the A9iii + 400mm 2.8. Canon, Nikon and Sony will jump around sometimes - Nikon does it a little more - but with any of the systems you'll need come up with a handoff system that works for you. For example, I have my Nikon set to wide area AF with subject recognition on my back button and my Fn1 is set to single point AF. The first thing I do is I focus on my subject using single point AF before I hit the back button focus which is wide-area AF. If I lose focus or it starts jumping around, I'll hit Fn1 (single AF) to regain focus on the subject. I have the similar setting for my A9iii (and I had the same setup on my R3 and R5). Although the A9iii is a tad faster I honestly find the Z9/Z8 and A9iii to be a wash--can't speak to the R5ii. The biggest thing is, with Canon and Sony is the AF requires virtually no setup whereas with the Z9 and Z8 you'll have to get it dialed in.

Back