Nikon canada lens warrenty process

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I'm new to photography so I apologize for not being familiar with how the warrenty process works.

I sent in a lens to nilon canada through the store I bought it at, for an issue while still under warrenty that from what I can see through online searches is very common with this particular lens.

I received an estimate through the store but no details on what was wrong or what work was required. When I enquired about that info I was told they do not provide it with the estimate.

Reason i ask is I've never experienced being charged for something and not supplying what I am paying for, and i wouldn't be comfortable paying for work from anyone with out know what is being done.

Thanks

Kristian

As Patrick stated, you shouldn't have to pay anything (except shipping maybe) for warranty work unless they have determined the problem was user caused. It's not unusual for Nikon to not list what repairs are needed on an estimate as the technician will have to determine what exactly is needed when he gets into the camera or lens.

Nikon Repair USA seldom gives repair details other than VERY general information. If the estimate is other than zero costs, you should ask why the repair is not under warranty.

Are you sure they sent it to Nikon? I had an experience in the U.S. with my Canon where the camera store failed to mention they were sending it to an independent 3rd party. And they wouldn't tell me the name of the third party or let me discuss the problem with them, and when I realized it wasn't the manufacturer it took 3 weeks to get the camera back after I declined the estimate. For me the solution was to contact Canon directy and ship the camera directly to them. They were willing to discuss the problem with me over the phone.

As Karen says, Nikon USA only puts the repair into categories, Type A, B etc. Each category has an estimated price. At the end, you might get a brief summary, usually goes something like this: Replace MCB, check AF operation, return to GWO. (GWO= Good Working Order)
It's rather generic. What concerns me is that they are charging for repair under warranty. Someone should be able to tell you why the warranty does not cover the repair. I don't think I've sent anything in through a dealer in 30 years, I send it directly to Nikon myself. That way they deal only with me. If I need to get my dealer involved in the process once it's in, then I do but I've found my dealer to be no more effective than I'm capable of.

Back