Nikon Coolscan connectivity to a 2024 PC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a CoolScan 4000 that I would like to keep using but my new 2024 Falcon NW computer has no room for a PCI card to accept the scanners Firewire connection. Has anyone run into this problem and does anyone have solution to my problem.

My previous Falcon I was able to insert the PCI card and use Viewscan 64 bit software to run the scanner. My current configuration is an ASUS - ROG STRIX Z790-E motherboard. The liquid cooling unit and the graphics card hog up any expansion slots. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: I looked at my legacy laptop, dated 2013, and it had a mini IEEE-1394a. I bought a a mini Firewire to Firewire 400 cable and it works. Now I just need to relearn the VueScan software so I can scan.
Hi 2Lab, are you running Windows 10 or Windows 11 ? Many moons ago I was using native Nikon CoolScan software but have to write my own script to get the software running, I am hoping to run my Coolscan 9000ED again.

Oliver

Hi Oliver - I am running Win 10 since my legacy laptop is incompatible with Win 11 and I also use Hamrick's VueScan to do the scanning. When I migrated my scanner to Win 7 the Nikon Software was incompatible with the upgrade in the OS that is when I migrated to Vuescan. Never had any problem with VueScan - now I need to relearn the software it's not complicated as I recall it's just a matter of sitting down and reading. I hope you have luck getting the scanner to work.

Back