Nikon D500 Discontinued

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm with Navitsky. Currently have D500 and Z7 (should have waited for Z6ii) with Z9 on order. The D500 has been very good to me and helped me develop my skills but plan is to go mirrorless only, assuming Z9 AF is as good as D500.

I spoke with someone from Nikon USA this past week as I wanted to purchase a D500 and he explained the "grey" market to me & to make sure the camera I buy has a US warranty.. So I asked him if the D500 is being discontinued. He told me he looked into the availability of the camera & it says it's "back ordered" and if it was being discontinued it would have said "out of stock". So I'll let you all figure out what's true.

I have no intention of ever giving up my D500. It pairs very nicely with the 300 PF f4, and 1.4 teleconverter, and it's built like a tank. The shutter count is a little over 35,000, so it should go on for years to come. While I use it less than the Z6, it will remain my go-to DX camera for now.

I've used my d500 so much that I don't even really think about setup when I get to a place and see the conditions. It's become automatic. I'll look at the histogram after one or two shots and go from there. It functions exactly as intended. I'm a bit long in the tooth myself and I haven't been traded in for a newer model with better eyesight, etc because I get the job done. I feel the same way about it.

I have no intention of ever giving up my D500. It pairs very nicely with the 300 PF f4, and 1.4 teleconverter, and it's built like a tank. The shutter count is a little over 35,000, so it should go on for years to come. While I use it less than the Z6, it will remain my go-to DX camera for now.
I love that threesome… for a daily river walk I find it fantastic in a comfortable Manfrotto holster case.
I've used my d500 so much that I don't even really think about setup when I get to a place and see the conditions. It's become automatic. I'll look at the histogram after one or two shots and go from there. It functions exactly as intended. I'm a bit long in the tooth myself and I haven't been traded in for a newer model with better eyesight, etc because I get the job done. I feel the same way about it.
I really like it’s feel. I am using a Z7ii for non-wildlife, but I find the D500 so much more comfortable in the hand. I find the buttons and dials for the right hand too tight on the Z7ii, so that even after six months I haven’t got the same muscle memory magic going at all - because I vary which fingers press the button on EC and ISO for example - whereas, I love the D500 controls all over the camera, for both hands all in the right place to operate with each finger without awkward hand twists! Three focus modes on different RH fingers keeping shutter button for what it does best, just as it all should be.
Do enjoy live histogram, focus stacking and WYSIWYG …. But nothing compares with an OVF for inspiring me!

Maybe this has been discussed, but is there any chance that the D500 has be discontented as there is soon an upgrade DX replacement of the D500?
Very doubtful to me that Nikon will put much if any effort into developing a F-mount D500 successor since they seem to be putting all of their efforts into the mirrorless Z mount. Their strategy seems to be to focus on prosumer or pro -level FX Z cameras at this point, although I think a mirrorless D500 would sell well. The Z mount full frame lenses, especially the new 100mm-400mm, and the 200mm-600mm, if and when it comes out, would pair very nicely with a D500 Z mount camera for people who like to shoot wildlife and birds.

whelp, it’s official. i’m an EX d500 owner 😕
4343759B-0078-4D61-9054-3B022B2FB87C.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

On Feb. 11 I spoke with someone from Nikon USA who said they were back ordered. Since I couldn't find anyone else on line at that time (including Amazon) who had a D500 for USA market I went ahead & ordered it from Nikon. About 3-4 days later I checked again on Amazon & saw they had 15 with US warranty, so I ordered one (in case Nikon wasn't getting any in sooner). So, yesterday the one from Amazon arrived and today the one from Nikon arrived. I contacted Nikon to return the one they sent & spoke to the rep about the confusing info on the internet re: the availability of the camera. She was adamant that it's not being discontinued because it's one of their most popular cameras. I'm just glad I got one.

If its being discontinued, then why are they available to place an order for the D500 on their website?
I'm sell a D500 because I chose to stay with my D850 and yes the D500 is a fantastic camera.

Back