Nikon D500 Firmware update (Old I know) but help required please

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Harry.G

Hi All

I`ve been away from my D500 on and off for long periods of time (health reason) .. I have now got the batteries charged (both in the camera and Myself) and when swithcing it on I checked to see what the Latest Firmware was .. As it turns out the last firmware was updated C 1.15 and LD 2.017 .. I`m assuming that was a fairly long time ago .. I`d be greatful for any advice on the best way to update to the most recent version .. Am I correct in thinking that its not good to do a large firmware update in one go ?

Things I know .
I need to format the card in the camera first - its a Sandisk Extreme PRO 64gb 300mb/s SDXCii U 3
I need to visit the Nikon website for the download
The latest Firmware is 1.31 ?

Things I`m unsure of
Are the update (s) lagre ?
Will I have to do a couplue of updates ?
I must put the card into a card reader as the Firmware cannot be done ""In Camera"" Y/N ?
Assuming the D500 will not have any more future updates is it a pointless exercise to update from 1.15 to 1.31 ? Will I benefit or not ?

Thank you in advance ,Any help really is appreciated

Regards
Harry.G

Apparently there are two updates. The latest firmware is 1.31. The other is an update to distortion control data used by the camera.

I suggest performing the update to get the best performance from your camera. Updates usually require only a few minutes once you have the update files on your SD card and inserted in the camera. You can find the updates at the link below. Follow the instructions for each update. It’ll require download the update file To your computer. If you’re a windows user, the update file is a self-extracting zip file. Double click it and the required file for the camera (ending in .bin) will be saved in the same folder. Copy the .bin file to an SD card. Insert the card in your camera. Go to the Setup Menu and select Firmware Version. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.

Last edited:
My advice is to follow the directions that Nikon provides with the downloads, as they can differ at times. Clear your SD card of all files and do onw firmware update at a time. If you are not doing a lens firmware update, I suggest removing the lens. When done, clear the card before doing the next update, and always check to make sure the update took. But most of all, follow the directions given by Nikon. I have never know it to pay off to try and shortcut the process, and have heard more than my share of bricked equipment when an update when wrong. If you have specific questions about the update, post before starting.

Good luck,

--Ken

Back