Nikon D500 SD card slot problem

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SD card slot stopped working in my Nikon D500 I took it to International Camera Repair in downtown Chicago they said the SD card slot is attached on a circuit board which will have to be replaced. Quoted me $360 will have to order part as Nikon no longer has a lot of parts for D500's but can get it through a Nikon supplier. I should get it back by first week in Feb has anyone else ha this problem

Yipes, sorry to hear about that issue. I don't have experience with this issue. However, something to consider, I've started seeing low click D500's for sale for as little as $400...close to break-even vs your repair. You've already committed (and made a good call), but if something arises again, may be worth simply buying a new-to-you copy vs repairing in the future.

Good luck, and enjoy!

What is the card slot “not doing”. Can you describe the issue?

Yipes, sorry to hear about that issue. I don't have experience with this issue. However, something to consider, I've started seeing low click D500's for sale for as little as $400...close to break-even vs your repair. You've already committed (and made a good call), but if something arises again, may be worth simply buying a new-to-you copy vs repairing in the future.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Yes have been looking at the Z8 but need to get my D500 working if I want to sell it or keep as a backup. I'm going on 3 years with this D500 and its my first problem with it.

Don’t be too quick here on the repair. Not saying the repair person doesn’t know what he’s talking about…but…remember these businesses make money by repairing cameras. Yours in this case. If it were mine…..I’d try blowing out the SD slot with compressed air; like the canisters you use to clean computer keyboards or a lens squeeze bulb… but don’t overdo it. I might also hit the camera’s “reset” option to return the D500 to original settings… That’s going to change anyway if parts are replaced..

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar problem with my d850. I was getting an error msg after puttu=ing another card in. Cost about the same for nikon to fix. They also went over things and updated the software.

I use SD cards exclusively and never had this problem with my D500 when I had one (owned maybe two years) or with either D850 when I owned two (first one about five years). However for about a year and a half I had a Sony A7IV. After it was only a couple months old and I had pulled the card out only eight or ten times, slot two failed. The spring broke and it was physically impossible to insert an SD card (the only card that goes in slot 2). It was under warranty so my local repair shop sent it in to Sony for me and they had to replace the entire bottom. My local guy said it can happen with any brand but happens most often with Sony.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar problem with my d850. I was getting an error msg after puttu=ing another card in. Cost about the same for nikon to fix. They also went over things and updated the software.
Yes its a pain for sure they said they would go over the camera give it a complete cleaning and check software

Check to be certain there isn't something loose down in the card slot. I had that happen once and had to carefully remove the broken piece of plastic.

Back