Nikon D6: Worth investing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon has the D6 priced at $6500, I was curious given their flagship mirrorless Z9 is priced at $5500 and Z8 priced at $3500, what would be the intention to purchase the D6? The most obvious I would assume is if you had a large investment of DSLR Lenses. For someone not having a investment in Nikon DSLR lenses, is the D6 still a good option vs Z9/Z8.

Nikon has the D6 priced at $6500, I was curious given their flagship mirrorless Z9 is priced at $5500 and Z8 priced at $3500, what would be the intention to purchase the D6? The most obvious I would assume is if you had a large investment of DSLR Lenses. For someone not having a investment in Nikon DSLR lenses, is the D6 still a good option vs Z9/Z8.
For the enthusiast I don't think there's any reason to purchase a full retail priced D6 over the lower priced Z9 or Z8. But for some working professionals like pro sports photographers, some event and photojournalists and others that don't need high resolution in their work but do need a solid and reliable camera for quick turn and often high volume work there's still a market for these cameras.

Not sure how many pros or agencies are buying new D6s at retail pricing but plenty of pros are still out there shooting them day after day in situations where the things we talk about so much like: shooting RAW, careful post processing, deep crops and the like often don't apply to their workflow, their needs and how they make their living. If they're heavily invested in F mount glass they may be even more likely to hold onto solid gear that works and helps them earn a paycheck.

If you're shooting at the sidelines of a pro baseball game day in and day out speed in turnaround and getting your image into print or on the web before your competition is often more important than things like shooting RAW or having the highest sensor resolution or time consuming post processing. Historically a lot of the big brand flaghship cameras targeted these markets.

I personally loved my D6 for wildlife work but no way would I pay a lot more money for one at retail pricing than a new Z9 costs but there are working professionals who's needs are different than ours.

I'd give that title to the D5 by about a third of a stop but both the D5 and D6
looking at the chart, i'd doubt this is a meaningful difference:

but also, since it's basically the same sensor, i would assume they had a reason to make the change, so it's possible there are benefits that come along with the "deficit"

Back