Nikon D850 - Daytime long exposure issues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for some advice and I think I know what the problem is but just need some help.
I want to do some long exposure photography with my Nikon D850, however in the past the images have been too bright (or burned out). The only thing I haven't done is close the eye viewfinder and selected the back of screen (live view). Is this the correct diagnosis or is there something else I need?

Well, you're letting in too much light. The solution is to let in less light, with an ND filter or similar, or use shorter exposures, or stop down, etc.

There's no getting around physics. Too much light means a washed out image.

What Cameron said. You need ND filters. Depending on brightness of the day, some heavy (very dark) NDs. You can compose the seen and set focus then carefully install the filters.

Looking for some advice and I think I know what the problem is but just need some help.
I want to do some long exposure photography with my Nikon D850, however in the past the images have been too bright (or burned out). The only thing I haven't done is close the eye viewfinder and selected the back of screen (live view). Is this the correct diagnosis or is there something else I need?

What settings are you using?

You control the amount of light hitting the sensor vie aperture, shutter speed, ISO - and neutral density filters if necessary.

If the image is properly exposed but there are light flares/leaks on part of the image, then close off the eye viewfinder.

So you are saying your exposure is good but light is leaking through the viewfinder and causing the problem? When you use the same settings with live view you get a good result? Maybe try flipping up the mirror if that is an option? Or keep using the live view if it works.

Back