Nikon EN EL 15C Battery and Water

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BillW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I managed to tip my kayak over yesterday getting out at my dock. My Z8 and Z9 were fine -- they were in dry bags with their lenses and I had put them on the dock before I tipped over. Most other stuff was waterproof. I got wet, but the water was shallow (part of the problem) and not very cold.

I had an EN EL 15C battery in my pants pocket. It was in a ThinkTank battery pouch (not waterpoof) and had the plastic cap on covering the terminals at one end.

The pouch was fairly wet. When I took the battery out, it had a couple of drops of water on the case. No visible water under the plastic end cap.

I put the battery outside (it was a warm day), but not in the sun. The outside dried quickly.

I'm wondering if the battery is good and whether there are any risks to trying to use it if it is not? Would it simply not work if there is an issue and not harm the camera?

I put it in a Nikon charger this morning -- seems to behave normally there. I use this battery in my Z8, Z7II or Z6II. I guess if I were to try it, I'd try it in the Z7II or Z6II before the Z8. (I have other batteries, so have no immediate need to use it.)

Does anyone have a similar experience or thoughts? It does not make sense to take many risks for a $69 battery (B&H price) with cameras costing much more than that. But I hate to dispose of it if it is good.

My EN-EL15C went through a complete wash and dry in a pants pocket, fortunately the cap stayed on. I put it on my charger to top it off and it seemed to charge fine so I used it in my camera with no issues. During that use I some how knocked my battery cover off, DOH. Ordered two new ones from NIKON parts US on last Thursday morning and got them Friday afternoon! Easy to pop on and the extra is now in my camera bag.

Thanks Charles and Scott. I'll give it a try. The dunking my EN-EL 15C got was likely less than going through the wash. :)

I managed to tip my kayak over yesterday getting out at my dock. My Z8 and Z9 were fine -- they were in dry bags with their lenses and I had put them on the dock before I tipped over. Most other stuff was waterproof. I got wet, but the water was shallow (part of the problem) and not very cold.

I had an EN EL 15C battery in my pants pocket. It was in a ThinkTank battery pouch (not waterpoof) and had the plastic cap on covering the terminals at one end.

The pouch was fairly wet. When I took the battery out, it had a couple of drops of water on the case. No visible water under the plastic end cap.

I put the battery outside (it was a warm day), but not in the sun. The outside dried quickly.

I'm wondering if the battery is good and whether there are any risks to trying to use it if it is not? Would it simply not work if there is an issue and not harm the camera?

I put it in a Nikon charger this morning -- seems to behave normally there. I use this battery in my Z8, Z7II or Z6II. I guess if I were to try it, I'd try it in the Z7II or Z6II before the Z8. (I have other batteries, so have no immediate need to use it.)

Does anyone have a similar experience or thoughts? It does not make sense to take many risks for a $69 battery (B&H price) with cameras costing much more than that. But I hate to dispose of it if it is good.
I was once caught in a Spring rainstorm as I had just put my Z7II and lens in dry bags. My spare battery was in my pocket with its cap on. I was completely soaked. Once I got home I removed the battery cap and allowed the battery to dry for several hours. I used it in the camera the next day with no problem.

Back