Nikon EN-EL18d Alternative

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been using a couple Wasabi Power EN-EL18D batteries along with some Nikon OEM batteries in my Z9 over the last year and they work interchangeably with the Nikon batteries,

No issues in terms of output and charging, either in the camera or in the charging module. No complaints in the year that I've been using them. I tend to use the Wasabi batteries on a day to day basis to reduce the number of cycles on the Nikon batteries. Unless Wasabi has updated the charger they usually sell with a pair of batteries, as of a year ago, it would not charge the Nikon batteries, only the Wasabi batteries, but the Wasabi batteries do charge in the Nikon charger.

I have also checked the charge current with an inline USB-C PD voltage/current monitor to see what the Wasabis draw in the charger and the camera...it's within a few mA of the Nikons at similar discharge levels...typically about 1.3A at 12V. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers!

I've been using a couple Wasabi Power EN-EL18D batteries along with some Nikon OEM batteries in my Z9 over the last year and they work interchangeably with the Nikon batteries,

No issues in terms of output and charging, either in the camera or in the charging module. No complaints in the year that I've been using them. I tend to use the Wasabi batteries on a day to day basis to reduce the number of cycles on the Nikon batteries. Unless Wasabi has updated the charger they usually sell with a pair of batteries, as of a year ago, it would not charge the Nikon batteries, only the Wasabi batteries, but the Wasabi batteries do charge in the Nikon charger.

I have also checked the charge current with an inline USB-C PD voltage/current monitor to see what the Wasabis draw in the charger and the camera...it's within a few mA of the Nikons at similar discharge levels...typically about 1.3A at 12V. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers!
Thanks! That is good to know.

I've seen good reports on the Wasabi batteries for a few different cameras. I just wish they were available in the UK. a friend of mine just bought a Z9 and he got a Wasabi battery for it from a company in California! Even with the shipping it was IIRC well under half the cost of a Nikon one. he says that it preforms as well as the Nikon battery.

3rd Party batteries are plain and simple not worth the risks, and false economy. My experience with Hahnel ENEL18 batteries is they did not live long. This started with a startup delay on D80 and D5. Then charging glitches on an OEM charger - failing to complete charge, and not holding the charge. Recalibration failed.... A Wasabi charger also became stopped charging the newer

Besides IME 3rd batteries & chargers failing, I'm also leery of new Firmware bricking such products. In point of fact, the status of battery compatibility in the Z8 suggests Nikon is locking out 3rd party brands, as an effect of the charging electronics becoming more complex. USB C PD seems to be the obvious reason why.

More context for this experience and also for ENEL18d

Last edited:
If you DO decide to use 3rd party batteries I highly recommend having your Nikon branded batteries as your backup. The last thing you want is your backup battery failing. I was a professional photographer for over 20 years and the Nikon packages sometimes came with an extra Watson battery and I had two of them. BOTH failed on me. Fortunately I wasn't on a job when it happened.

I bought a pair of Wasabi batteries and their charger. The Nikon OEM charger will charge their batteries but you can't charge a Nikon OEM battery on the Wasabi charger.

One of the two batteries died after very limited use. The Wasabi web site mentioned a three-year warranty but I never received a response to my inquiry for replacement. (Might be limited to US only).

I've since decided to only use Nikon OEM batteries -- you can buy lightly used ones from B&H.

I have been using a bunch of Wasabi batteries (EN-EL18c, not d) in my D850, only to find out that they don't work in the Z9. At that point I decided to no longer spend money on 3rd party batteries (which may stop working at some point, even if they work today) and buy Nikon OEM ones, only.

Back